strange situation on this subject to deal... - Posted by tarun_md

Posted by Redline on January 14, 2001 at 17:25:59:

Ditto, and also … why didn’t you get the keys when you got the deed?

RL

strange situation on this subject to deal… - Posted by tarun_md

Posted by tarun_md on January 14, 2001 at 17:08:02:

I got the deed on a house yesterday. The house is vacant.
The seller tells me yesterday that he will leave the keys in the mailbox of the house in a few hours. Guess what! No keys.
I call him again today and he says that the keys will be there within 2 hours. I show up at the house in 4 hours and guess what? Thats right…no keys.
I tried calling him several times and I get the answering machine(he has caller id).
what should I do?
Thanks for the help!
Tarun

Re: strange situation on this subject to deal… - Posted by TD

Posted by TD on January 15, 2001 at 22:17:07:

Keep it legal.

Check and make sure you REALLY do have the deed to the home and actually OWN it, and not some worthless piece of paper.

Did you confirm that you’re buying what the Seller claims to be selling? Have you protected yourself by recording your agreement on file at the courthouse, in the land records?

CYA - get a locksmith out there to do the change for you - that way you’ll have some sort of record and chain of events to rely upon in case of any dispute.

TD

Re: strange situation on this subject to deal… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 15, 2001 at 21:49:13:

Tarun,
I’d just bust into the home as suggested below.
Remember though in the future, when you get the deed, get a key at the same time.
And on ALL your “subject to” or any deal, change the locks right away.

Good luck,
Jim IL

P.S. When/if you do break in, have your paper work with you, in case a neighbor calls the police.
It will be rasier to explain your Breaking in to them this way.

Re: another idea - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on January 14, 2001 at 18:22:26:

Turan,

You don’t need a locksmith.

If there is a deadbolt, just drill rightabove where the key goes in. It there is no deadbolt, then just bust the doorknb off with a hammer.

I have done this many times when I have misplaced the keys.

Good Luck,

Tim

Re: strange situation on this subject to deal… - Posted by Bob (MD)

Posted by Bob (MD) on January 14, 2001 at 17:16:23:

Personally, I’d have locksmith get me in (or it might be cheaper to just break and repair a window pane). Then, I’d change all the locks. I don’t thnk I’d want the previous owner to have access with a “spare key” that they “forgot” to give you.