Structural Engineer ??? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on November 15, 2000 at 12:58:24:

Thanks Ben. How much does he usually charge?

Structural Engineer ??? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on November 15, 2000 at 10:52:01:

I have a SFH that’s in pretty good condition. Just needs cosmetic work for the most part. The only thing is I’ve noticed that the floor buckles in one spot in the living room. This seems to stem from a broken beam in the basement. There’s no other structual problems. I had two contractors look at it and both said it should be no problem to fix. A real estate investor friend of mine said the same thing except he also stated that it has to be fixed right or serious structural problems can result. I was advised on this board by a fellow investor that I should get a Structural Engineer to look at it and get a professional opinion. I’ve never heard of these. Can anyone tell me how or where to get one in NJ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Structural Engineer ??? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on November 15, 2000 at 12:47:20:


I am a Civil Engineer. And let me just say that you will pay a big buck for an engineer. Those types of problems are typically easy fixes. The problem has likely been there for years, so you are likley not looking at catastrophic failure. place some additional supports below, but first jack up the others.

If you are set on an engineer, make sure he/she has a PE (professional engineering license) in NJ.


I recommend… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on November 15, 2000 at 11:34:04:

Geza from Sure Engineering,in Morris Plains, NJ. He’s done great work for me in the past. 973 631-8700. He is out of town for a few days but leave him a message.