Stuctures without permits and variance issues - Posted by zeal

Posted by GL - ON on July 15, 2003 at 15:12:55:

One way to do it would be to leave it as it is and say nothing to nobody. Chances are, no one would bother you.

However it might be wise to call the building inspector and find out what their policy is before you buy.

I don’t know what it would cost to remove the structures. You might ask a couple of local contractors to have a look and give you an estimate.

In any case if you are getting a low enough price you won’t lose anything even if you do have to demolish them. And if you don’t that’s a bonus for you.

Stuctures without permits and variance issues - Posted by zeal

Posted by zeal on July 15, 2003 at 12:09:03:

I’m interested in putting a contract on a house in the St. Pete, FL area that is corporate owned, with a room and extra outside structure additions that have no permits, all BLOCK! The price is great, and although I have not seen the inside, the area is fantastic with a potential The realtor said that the buyer will need to assume all responsibility of either applying for permits and variance or remove the structures in accordance with building codes.

What would be the cost of all this (say demolishing two structures vs. getting permits and architects invloved, vs. varience etc.) so I can plug that in as a cost of doing business? I would probably just demolish the extra stuff,since the house is large as it is (about 1700+ sq feet)… I’d like the feedback of those who have experience with this, please. Thanks in advance for your help.


Re: Stuctures without permits and variance issues - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on July 15, 2003 at 16:58:04:

Contact Building Services in City Hall or where ever Building Permits are obtained. Describing the situation, you apply for a building permit for the existing structures (additions). The cost of the permit is based on the ?Estimated cost of construction? probably less than $100. An inspector will verify the structure was built to code and sign off the permit clearing the additions. Obviously if they are not up to code you would have to have the corrections performed by a licensed contractor.