Success...long (of course) - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on April 18, 2007 at 12:30:08:

`

Success…long (of course) - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on April 18, 2007 at 09:31:20:

Coming up on 5 years in this business and have some random thoughts on those that succeed in this business. I have watched Anne, Tony, Scott, Lonnie,Michael, Marty, Ray, Jad, Steve W.,Ruben,Ryan,and about 40 others from this board that have proven models and they ALL seem to share some common traits:

1. They are generous with their time and information.
    Several wrote books, and spend even more time helping others. Lonnie has his home phone number on back cover of DOW. Steve has meetings in NW each year.

2. They are all action people. given a choice between a speech or a juicy deal ALL would do the deal every time.

3.Every single one invests in their own education. I see a lot of the same faces at meetings, seminars, and bootcamps…and these are succesful faces.

4.They are honest folks. They pull a bonehead move, they post or share so others don’t face that same mistake. They have not lied, cheated, stole to realize profit.

1. They are cool people…folks I feel comfortable around. People you are proud to intro to friends. They all tend to take things in stride. Most don’t drive new cars or trucks.

2. Every single one has a PLAN. There is not a rudderless ship in the bunch.

3. They are positive folks. Lose 10K on a deal? Look at all that was learned and avoided in the future. Lose 4 or 5 deals? Getting closer to the one yes needed.

I watch people closely to modify my reactions not to judge. If anyone wants to chime in with other common qualities please post. Over the years I have had over 90 people from this Board come to sunny FL and tour my humble operation and have had this conversation many times. Can you think of other traits?

Greg Meade

something else worth looking at… - Posted by Marty (MO)

Posted by Marty (MO) on April 19, 2007 at 18:51:30:

Greg!

What a neat post! I agree heartily with everything mentioned before, but a strong family is a rare commodity that stands out even more in the context of entrepreneurs. Lonnie thought enough of it to mention the impact Joanne’s had on his business. Single guys like Michael and myself enviously notice what a big deal this is. Greg’s constantly talking about his family, how his daughter’s making mh deals, etc. Ruben and his wife sound like they are pulling in the same direction. Steve’s wife has her business, too and they’re knocking it out. Ernest Tew’s family is amazing.

Appreciative, participating partners add a dimension to a business that cannot be underestimated. Family’s the reason most of us are in business.

OK!

Marty

Re: Success…long (of course) - Posted by Ruben (KCKS)

Posted by Ruben (KCKS) on April 18, 2007 at 13:03:44:

Everyone, “Pays it Forward”.

It may sound corny but the mobile home community is a very giving bunch of people. One thing I was impressed with when I began lurking here 2 years ago was the sense of the need to give back everyone has. Many people open up their homes to fellow investors and will organize free events to attend (Thank you Greg and Steve). This is the norm for us here in the mobile home community and it does not seem to be the norm in other investing circles.

That giving attitude is what helps make us all successful. The more we all give the more we receive back from life. So the more we give in terms of investing advise and helping others make money the more ideas we get and the more money we make over time.

For all of you newbies (of which I still consider myself one) please take this to heart and “Pay it Forward” to others.

As always Greg great post.

Ruben D. Flores

816 918-9041

Re: Success…long (of course) - Posted by will(wa)

Posted by will(wa) on April 18, 2007 at 12:47:59:

I’m going to pile on and say I think 2 additional traits that all posess are:

1. determination
  2. persistence

these may be included in the ACTION PLAN, but I think they are important enough to be listed outright.

Will

Re: one more - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on April 18, 2007 at 12:40:39:

I agree with all the traits you listed and would add one more. Most, if not all of these folks, have an “abundance mentality” as opposed to one of scarcity. They realize it’s better and easier to create a new dollar rather than worry about how to save a nickel they already have.

They view competition as an opportunity to network and learn, and not a threat. And they share their secrets of success, freely.

Nice post, Greg.

Jeff

another trait - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on April 18, 2007 at 11:43:21:

all are EXTREMELY good-looking, and smarter than me.

;-)3

Family is a great addition Marty…n/t - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on April 23, 2007 at 13:21:35:

`

You are right… - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on April 18, 2007 at 14:43:28:

Anyone who has ever met Ryan, Anne, michael,Marty, et al don’t be fooled. These quiet, thoughtful, folks are driven and focused. Ryan (and Michael), in pursuing a deal, reminds me of a pit bull i owned when i was young. This dog would glom onto a blanket I pulled behind my riding lawn mower, when he got tired of ripping and running he’d lay down and let me drag him for awhile…all the time chewing up the blanket…LOL. I loved that dog. The true investor starts his work after the first few NO’s. persistence is a good addition!

Greg

Re: one more - Posted by infinitig35

Posted by infinitig35 on April 18, 2007 at 12:53:02:

I would like to add one more.
NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
thanks