sudden problem and closing is a week away! - Posted by Barbara

Posted by Sailor on March 17, 2006 at 17:06:53:

This is the sort of thing the agent often fixes to close the deal. Yes, it should work on your walk-through.

Notwithstanding the above, I once almost had a deal fall through because the seller insisted on removing the garage door opener. He actually was ready to lose the sale over a $200 item. I’d have canceled if the house wasn’t for my DD, & for 15 years I’ve regretted not doing exactly that, as I had the house back w/in 3 months when DD insisted on moving in w/her new boyfriend, leaving me holding the bag. She married the jerk & he hasn’t worked more than 5 months @ a time in the past decade & a half. They don’t even pretend he’s looking now–he’s officially “retired.” Golly, I musta been saving up that rant for a long time!

Tye

sudden problem and closing is a week away! - Posted by Barbara

Posted by Barbara on March 15, 2006 at 05:48:20:

Post Purchase & Sale agreement, inspection and appraisal…can a seller refuse to repair or compensate for a mechanical aspect of the house that is no longer operable (like…an automatic garage door)? My stance is that it worked when we made the offer…it should be working when we go to closing, and not on my dime. Feedback?

Re: sudden problem and closing is a week away! - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on March 19, 2006 at 12:52:45:

Barbara,

What does your contract say? Our local contract says the the buyer may perform a walk thru inspection to ensure that the property is in “substantially the same condition” as it was on the day the contract was ratified.

I guess you and the seller will need to decide what’s more important, $200 or getting the deal done. Don’t let the agent take it out of the commission they earned.

–Natalie