((((((((((((((((((((((SURVEY SAYS'))))))))))))))))))))))))) - Posted by Jim LaVerdi

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 18, 2000 at 19:40:55:

No offense intended. I’ve just seen this post a few times through the last couple of years, and it received a weak response. I’m guessing people are a little concerned about how much personal info they put out into the internet.

Also, the value of the info is dubious. I was reminded by replies to a recent post of mine, that it’s probably non-productive to compare my “success” to that of others. Each of us have different goals, and different time-tables. For example, if I thought it was valid to compare the number of deals I’ve completed to Steve Cooke’s number, I might just have to declare myself a slow learner. It may be very true, but I don’t feel like admitting it just now (smile).

Stacy

((((((((((((((((((((((SURVEY SAYS’))))))))))))))))))))))))) - Posted by Jim LaVerdi

Posted by Jim LaVerdi on January 18, 2000 at 17:28:23:

Well you guys will determine what the survey says:

I am curious as to where I stand in my investing carreer in relation to how long I have been studying this biz.
If you would please state how long you have been investing and how many deals you have done to date.

Example:

Began as investor___________(date)

1st property purchased after _________ (days/weeks/months/years)

Deals I have made to date___________

Average Hours per week I spend as Investor_____________

here’s a simple answer - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on January 19, 2000 at 08:18:53:

1. late 70’s

2. same day. You don’t really start your “investing” career until you actually “invest” in something.

3. lost count; 100+

4. alot of hours thinking; very few actually “working”

What about you Jim?

David S

Re: ((((((((((((((((((((((SURVEY SAYS’))))))))))))))))))))))))) - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 18, 2000 at 20:46:32:

Began as investor: 1996, but stayed stagnant, did not dedicate enough time or motivation to it. Actually got serious in Dec. 1998, when I found CRE.

1st property purchased after: Got ZILCH, ZIP, ZERO for two years, my own fault, I over analyzed, and procrastinated. Then, got the first one;
Started negotiating on it in Dec. 1998, closed in January 1999.

Deals I have made to date: I like the other guys answer, “Not Enough”, but seriously, more than a dozen, and STILL working on more.

Average Hours per week I spend as Investor: Again, have to agree with the other guy, “Not enough”, but average perhaps 15 now, and maybe 20 in the summer.

And, someone always reads these posts and asks this question, so here goes;
Q:“How much money did you make?”
A: NOT ENOUGH! and that is really between me and uncle sam anyway.

And, I NEVER compare myself to other investors. Some have done more deals, and made less money, others have done less deals and made more money. Others, have done…you see my point?
Success is something we each measure personally.
I consider myself to be “successful”, because I have managed to stay happily unemployed since I went FULL TIME, but for others, that may not be enough.
To me, freedom is the key. I may even have a time (like now) where things are slow, but, I am still not punching a clock for anyone, and that suits me fine.

Good luck to you,
Jim IL

Re: ((((((((((((((((((((((SURVEY SAYS’))))))))))))))))))))))))) - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 18, 2000 at 17:38:22:

Jim, I have a feeling most people won’t want to make this info public knowledge, for good reason.

Began as investor___April, 98

1st property purchased after __6 weeks

Deals I have made to date___Not EHOUGH!

Average Hours per week I spend as Investor_Not ENOUGH!

Stacy

Thank You Jim IL & Tell the others. - Posted by Jim LaVerdi

Posted by Jim LaVerdi on January 18, 2000 at 22:32:17:

Your answer was basicly what I was looking for. It was honest and gave me an idea of your history in investing. I would never ask you how much you have made (That is Personal info). As far as comparing what you do or what I do or whatever anyone does doesn’t matter it’s just a general idea of how things progressed for different individuals, simply just that. People say that you should’nt compare what you do to what other people do. I say that is “Their Opinion” I as well as other Newbies can look at this information as a guideline. It can show someone just beginning that hey you can make this happen in just 6 weeks or on the other side of the token it can show that sometimes it can take a year or so before success is acheived. This is not asking anyone for personal information as some here would tend to believe in their minds. I for one would be more than happy to share what I have accomplished in my journey as a real estate investor. As of today I have been studying since August 99 and have done 0 deals! I spend over 25 hrs per week at it, make offers and learn from mistakes, and just plain experience. One day in the future, and I’m sure there will be a similar post asking the same questions as I have, My response will be there for a beginner or anyone else for that matter, stating everything I may have accomplished, time, number of deals done, anything really, except personal data . They will be accomplishments I will certainly be proud of and happy to share with someone who needs a little encouragement in their beginning days of investing. This is information you should be proud to share, not hide!
And back to comparing one from the other…When you buy houses, you do comps right?..Why do you compare these?
It’s just a basis factor. Ask the editor of this site about comps! She swears by it, and so do I in more ways than just real estate. Granted, it is not a true 100% way to determine anything but it gives you a general idea. Thats all I am looking for, and I’m sure other Newbie readers would love to see your responses too. It will help the beginners, and give encouragement to those getting off to a slow start.

For what it’s worth:

Jim LaVerdi (Phoenix Arizona Investor)

This is simple - Posted by Jim LaVerdi

Posted by Jim LaVerdi on January 18, 2000 at 17:48:10:

Then my suggestion to them is “Don’t Respond” I don’t want to be hassled about this. I’m just looking for honest answers. You should be proud of your acheivements (Who isn’t?)

Thanks,

Jim LaVerdi