Take A Mentor To Lunch - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Ted on March 15, 2001 at 12:13:40:

Hi Jim.
Just wanted to let you know that I am a REInvester wana-be and am ready to take the “Leap of Faith” soon! I will be looking you up in Atlanta to see if I can get any of that knowledge you recieved from the other great ones on this site. Picking your brain sounds a little harsh, but I have a few questions that I will be looking for answers to.
Hope to see you in Atlanta along with everyone else willing to help us newbies. Last year I sat in the back and kept to myself. Not this year, I will be somewhere in the front!!!
See you there.
Ted

Take A Mentor To Lunch - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on March 14, 2001 at 18:47:55:

Who is a mentor? Could be most anyone. Ya just never know do you?

I know that I have written in the past about bending the ears of some great full time investors here, Jackie Lange, Jim Kennedy, David Alexander, William, Joe Kaiser and Bill Bronchick as well as others.

I hope, nope IT IS on my agenda, to get to know JPiper, Merle, Phil and Steve Cook a lot better at this upcoming event.

Today I had a great time watching a master of people skills in the Bassman. There was no doubt he is a people person who I could learn a lot from. I enjoyed the lunch also. I was not sure about meeting with a Realtor, much less one that was an investor also.

Let me tell you I would be missing out if I didn’t go. He already gave me comp info on a house that I would have more likely passed on that could now give me a great deal of equity ($20k worth).

Was the lunch worth it? Do you need a second? All this while also we talked about things we were both facing too personal to mention here so it was not all work. And that made it even better.

I keep seeing people ask what should I do? What do I do next?

Find out who is doing what you want to do and meet them. You don’t get what you don’t ask so ASK! I heard that a few times today. Examine your circle of friends. HARD.

Try to give back what you recieve and more. It’ll make you feel better.

Those are my reflections on the day.

PS

Yes I made an offer on another deal that looks like it will fly as well. (No Offers No Deals)

Pretty good day.

Re: Take A Mentor To Lunch - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on March 14, 2001 at 22:52:28:

Terry,

I’m very humbled to have my name mentioned with such an august group of investors. I’ve had the very great pleasure of meeting all of the people you mentioned with the exception of Joe Kaiser and Merle Woolley. In fact, one of the highlights for me at last year’s convention was lunch with Jim Piper, Ed Garcia, Bill Bronchick and others. It’s amazing how much you can learn if you keep your ears open when you’re in the company of such experienced individuals. I can hardly wait to see all of the folks from past conventions and I’m looking forward to meeting many new friends in Atlanta.

When Bassman was new to the business, he sought my counsel and picked my brain. I was honored that he thought enough of my level of knowledge and experience that he felt he could actually learn some things about creative real estate from little 'ole me. I just hope I was able to be of help in some small measure when he was first getting started. I’d be happy if I can give back just one tenth of what I’ve received from others.

By the way Terry, congratulations on your decision to go full time. You’re gonna love it!!

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Take A Mentor To Lunch - Posted by Alan Paine

Posted by Alan Paine on March 16, 2001 at 11:28:48:

Jim, My wife and I would like to take you to lunch before the convention.

My highlight of the Dallas convention was the meals we had together.

Email me and we can talk about a time.