Taking the first calls - Posted by bill

Posted by Lydia on August 14, 2003 at 19:47:11:

Also, Peter Conti thinks it can be beneficial to be hesitant, sound somewhat unsure, etc. I wouldn’t “fake it”, but I also wouldn’t worry too much if I sounded not perfectly polished, and having a ready answer for everything.
Lydia

Taking the first calls - Posted by bill

Posted by bill on August 14, 2003 at 16:30:27:

Well I have been lurking for some time and I am about 3 weeks away from starting the marketing part of the business. I have a ad to place in 3 local papers, about 50 bandit signs and tons of fliers. I plan on having them call my cell phone as I work all day. I will be able to take some of the calls but not all. My biggest fear is still taking the first calls. Everything I read here makes sense on paper but I keep thinking If I am on the phone I will draw a blank and sound like a lousy invester. I know some people have said, take some calls, get back to the boards and ask some questions then. Is it ok to tell people “I dont know” when they ask something I dont know. I am just getting nervous.

I am going to try this no matter what. I MIGHT FAIL but I will try for sure. I will not say I am going to try REI and not give a wirl. Just some encouragment would to wonders.

Re: Taking the first calls - Posted by Mike G

Posted by Mike G on August 15, 2003 at 16:11:55:

Bill, before you spend money on marketing, why don’t you make your first calls yourself by calling on FSBO signs and ads, etc. This way you get yourself some real experience before spending money. As long as you have the attitude that your first calls will probably be all wrong before you get’m right, might as well do it as cheaply as possible while you get these out of your system (and calling on ads is certainly a great way to generate leads, so it’s not like it isn’t real).

It helps to have a sheet of paper in front of you w/ basic info you are trying to get (asking price, beds, baths, address, why selling?) to keep you focused.

Give yourself an assignment, like call 25 FSBO ads this Sunday. You’ll be amazed at how much better you are after your 25th call than at first. Do this until you feel comfortable enough to handle incoming calls.

Just my advice.

Do or Do Not… - Posted by MJK

Posted by MJK on August 15, 2003 at 09:37:10:

Yoda said it best, “Do or do not. There is no try.”

Just a thought.

-MJK

Re: Taking the first calls - Posted by tampasteph

Posted by tampasteph on August 14, 2003 at 22:15:29:

The only way to get over the nervousness is to just get it over with and take some calls. It took me a really, really, long time to get up the nerve to actually talk to sellers. At first, I even had an ad in the paper, and signs out, and when calls would come in I was too afraid to answer. After awhile I had to actually force myself to call back. It was a really good feeling afterwards, and I actually suprised myself by how professional I sounded when answering questions.
Just remember, they are the ones calling you with a problem. If you can’t think of a solution for their problem right there on the spot, take down all the necessary info. from them and tell them you will return their call.
It gets easier and easier each time, and after awhile you will wonder what you were so afraid of.
Trust me. I used to feel the exact same way.
Good luck,
Steph

Re: Taking the first calls - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on August 14, 2003 at 16:57:41:

Go to the How-to articles section and look for, “Get on the Same Page with the Seller” by Joe Kaiser. There are also some new posts that may alleviate your fears. Remember, the only real info you need know initially is if the caller is ready to deal. If they are not, why do you care what they’re selling?

Re: Taking the first calls - Posted by bill

Posted by bill on August 15, 2003 at 09:31:09:

Thanks alot Steph. Its nice to hear you had the same fears I do. Thank you again for your reply!

Excellent point - Posted by Brad (CA)

Posted by Brad (CA) on August 15, 2003 at 22:14:00:

Dont worry so much about taking the call, just talk.

Hard part is finding who is ready to deal and not wasting an hour of your time with tire-kickers, like someone I know did today!

Noob-to-noob? Just relax and take your time.

Brad