Taking the Plunge! - Posted by Kevin Shaw

Posted by WilliamGA on June 18, 1999 at 17:42:51:

Kevin,

I, too, am in a job that I hate and I ordered Sheets’ course 4 weeks ago this Tuesday after watching it on television for the past 5 years. I got tired of saying “I am going to order that someday” and just did it. It seemed that everytime I saw it on and said that to myself, I was still in the same dead end job while there were new millionaires on his program everytime.

As I said, I have had the program for about 4 weeks and have just placed my first ad in the newspaper (it starts tomorrow) and am actively looking for properties every day. I expect to make my first offers next week.

Before I moved to GA, I lived in Memphis, too. Man, I envy you!! LOTS of opportunity there! Stay on this web site and listen to these guys here that have already been where you and I are and I have no doubt that you will be successful. I plan on it!

Good Luck!

WilliamGA

Taking the Plunge! - Posted by Kevin Shaw

Posted by Kevin Shaw on June 18, 1999 at 16:02:31:

I currently hold a master’s degree in a field I’m not working in. In order to pay the bills I am teaching high school which I hate with every fiber of my being. I bought Carlton Sheets’ course several months ago and have just read it over and over and I am overwhelmed with what to do. I was never taught anything about business, math word problems make my head spin and yet I have decided to quit teaching and try REI full-time next Monday, June21st.

I am going to follow what Carlton says to do at the end of his course for “What to do tomorrow…” and I just pray I am not making a huge mistake. I will receive teaching pay until August 3rd, after which there is no more income. I was making $1,800 a month after taxes and I am terrified that it will take me months or even years to make that in real estate. I have thousands and thousands in student loans that I must pay back, but I have to try this.

I live in Memphis and I hope that anyone else who lives here and reads this will respond. My plan is t

June 21 is a great day!!! - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on June 20, 1999 at 11:22:34:

Kevin,
On June 21, 1998 I quit my job. You have an advantage over me. You have income coming in until August 3. I had nothing. I had to make it happen. You can do it as well.
The bottom line is that you have to get out there and do deals. Don’t stop! You will hear “NO” hundreds of times but keep going until you hear that yes. I figure that I Make in the vicinity of $500 every time someone says “NO” to me. I’m beginning to like hearing “NO” so much that I do more to hear it more.

What I’m getting at is this. It does work but you have to make it work. If you get discouraged and walk away you won’t get the deal done. The more that you put into it, the more you will get out. Keep that in mind and never look back.

SCook85

Re: Taking the Plunge! - Posted by bobbywhiteTN

Posted by bobbywhiteTN on June 18, 1999 at 18:04:41:

Kevin
Hold your horses my friend. I too have C. Sheets course,good material. This is mostly buy and hold as rentals for cash flow. Long term method , later, after you have cash to sustain your business.
If your income stops Aug. 3,no emergency funds, Murphy moves in and jerks the rug from under your feet. Oops!!
Generate cash first as Scott Britton or Ron Legrand suggests. Then you can afford to go for cash flow.

Your frustrated and disgusted now. Take a deep breath.
Take a cold shower. Anything. Just think with a clear head. You have to be able to live with the outcome of your decision.

I to am in Memphis. E-mail me direct maybe we can meet and talk.

Good Luck.

Bobby

P. S. Look at quick flips and lease/options first.