Tape Recorder For Convention - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on March 08, 2002 at 17:23:35:

Thanks Mark. I am going to Office Depot tonight and will take a look at what they have during my visit. Steve also mentioned the Optimus that my wife liked. She says if I buy one, she could use it at school if she ends up taking classes.

Tape Recorder For Convention - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on March 07, 2002 at 18:47:30:

My wife and I went to look at a house, then went to the mall to look for a tape recorder at Radio Shack, but couldn’t decide on which one. Anyone care to comment on what they have used, are using, or plan to purchase?

I would like to get a tape recorder for the convention so that I can refer back to the tapes when I return. I think I have decided on the mini ones, but it is not written in stone since the regular sized tape machines are not that big anymore.

My concern while reviewing them in the store was the quality. Now it could be the atmosphere in Radio Shack, or it could be the quality of the product. I don’t know since I have not sat down and did any reviews on what to look for in a tape device.

Not knowing the size of the rooms, the background noise that may be involved, does make it hard to choose the right tape machine. I would like anyone’s opinion on what to look for and possibly recommendations on what model to get. Was thinking under $100 would be reasonable. This was only because the highest one I saw there was $129, so one of these models must be sufficient. Is this a normal price for these devices?

I have eliminated digital since 32 minutes is not going to be enough information for 3 days and I would have no way to unload it as I don’t have a laptop to transfer each 30 minutes to.

Should I review the ones closely one more time at Radio Shack, or should I go to some other electronics store or larger department store to see if they have Sony, Panasonic, and other brands?

Tape it all - Posted by Stevo

Posted by Stevo on March 07, 2002 at 20:24:46:

Tim, I agree with you, taping it is best because so much goes in one ear and out the other, or while you are chewing on that great idea the speaker threw out, he’s rolling out another great idea while you’re still thinking. I learn so much more by being able to pop it in the car cassette player and listening over and over. This is, of course, all with the assumption that taping is not prohibited by the organizers.

Now for your question on tape recorders. I like and use the Optimus at Radio Shack for about 80 bucks or so. It holds the regular size cassettes, which I like because I can play them in my car while driving around. The microcassettes are fine if you’re just going to transcribe notes off the tape one time, such as a journalist would or driving around taking verbal notes about houses. And the regular cassette players aren’t bulky at all.

Most of the features are nice to have but you won’t really need many of them. A pause button is good, as well as a counter so you can quickly fast forward to a certain spot. I like the little flip up microphone, although it doesn’t matter if you’re in a room with a microphone. Don’t use the “voice activation” feature, as you’ll miss things when the speaker speaks softly; worse, it’s choppy because of pauses. The earphone jack can be convenient if you want to listen to tapes on a plane or something, and a “record” light gives you comfort during a session when you aren’t sure if you just pressed play only. The “tape speed” feature allows you to double the length of your tapes, but I only use the “normal” setting so I can play it in my car.

That’s my review. I recommend taping every speaker who has no objections (don’t ask, but if they announce no taping, then honor it). I’m getting quite a collection and I listen to them constantly. Take plenty of tapes! And batteries.

PS. Don’t use Sony tapes. They squeal after a while.

Forget taping it! - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on March 07, 2002 at 19:56:46:

Tim, I don’t know if you’ve been to one of these conventions, but the last thing you want to do is concentrate on scr*wing with a tape recorder. While you are holding your breath not wanting to mess up the clarity of your tape you are probably going to miss out on a quality conversation with the person sitting right next to you! You cannot possibly capture every detail! Do yourself a favor and back away from the trees so you can appreciate the forest. Buy a course. Meander the halls, talk to people, look over peoples shoulders, belly up to the bar, start a conversation, buy someone a drink. HAVE FUN! Wear your nametag. I’ll introduce myself.

Re: Tape Recorder For Convention - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on March 07, 2002 at 19:26:33:

Tim,

I’m anxiously anticipating meeting you at the convention. I don’t know much about recorders, but I do know the room which the conventiuon will be held in. It’s a big room with 600 people in the room. The speakers are at the front of the room speaking through microphones.

Don’t know if this helps.

Re: Forget taping it! - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on March 07, 2002 at 20:07:32:

Thanks for the tip Dave. Nothing against all the speakers, but there is going to be discussion on a topic I am not up to par on and want to tape this one the most. While I can buy a course, and probably will while I am there, I would like to be able to refer back to the tape on this particular subject.

I will toss this into the hopper to help decide if I want to get the recorder or not.

You probably won’t be able to miss me, I will be the one wearing the nametag that says Tim Fierro on it. :slight_smile:

Re: Tape Recorder For Convention - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on March 07, 2002 at 19:45:33:

It’s nice to be anticipated…:slight_smile: I figured it would be a large room and speakers around the room, but didn’t know what kind of pick up these little microphones have on these recorders.

I had this awful thought that something important that I didn’t know was being spoken up front at the same time I need to go to the little boys room.

As I relieve myself, I know that my trusty little recorder is getting those little tidbits that I can’t hear from this soundproof room down the hall.

Now I am on the plane ready to review those moments I missed. OOOOPPPPPS! The microphone couldn’t pick it up. This will be a long 5 hour flight home.

Re: Forget taping it! - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on March 07, 2002 at 20:28:29:

Actually Tim I liked Dave’s advice. Go in with the attitude that you can’t capture everything. You will capture the flavor of the convention. You will hear 95% of what the speakers say. And you will network, network, network well cause I have seen you on this board. You’ll do just fine.

You will have the time of your life at the convention. This being your 1st makes me go back to my 1st convention in Dallas in 1999. Your 1st will be your best cause you have never been exposed to the creative real estate investing techniques that you will see in two weeks down to the convention.

Re: Tape Recorder For Convention - Posted by Mark (WV)

Posted by Mark (WV) on March 08, 2002 at 16:00:45:

Tim, I recall a post a month or so back where someone said they had used one of the small sony recorders and it picked up everything just fine, impressed me enough that I next time I was at Staples I picked one up for about 50 bucks .They had a different one that was about 80 and had what they called “extended mic for recording meetings” .

The five hour flight home is why I decided to drive it, only takes 7 in a car !!