Tax acquisition of property question - Posted by Barbara (ME)

Posted by Barbara (ME) on May 29, 1999 at 12:26:35:

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Sounds good!
One more question… should the taxing community dispose of it, do they have any right to get anything out of the property other than the back taxes owed ?
Barbara (ME)

Tax acquisition of property question - Posted by Barbara (ME)

Posted by Barbara (ME) on May 28, 1999 at 14:14:24:

Have any of you ever acquired property for back taxes? If so, what is the procedure and how long does this take?
I have a log cabin on a lake and there is a small cabin next door on land which is right beside mine.I would like to acquire it as it gives me even more frontage on the lake, and I would like to own the cabin.

I went to the town office today to find out who owns it, and they gave me the name of three joint owners (all different names). However, the tax clerk told me for the past 2 years the tax bill has been returned as unknown(all three are listed as a post office box).

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas.

Barbara (ME)

Re: Tax acquisition of property question - Posted by M Sutherland (FL)

Posted by M Sutherland (FL) on May 29, 1999 at 10:38:57:

Barbara;

Check with the tax office. You should be able to pay off at least one of the years back taxes. If the actual owners attempt to keep the property then they will by law be required to pay the back taxes to you with interest (usually quite high). If (typically) after three years of non tax payment the property is disposed of by the taxing community you have first right. This is how it works here. Check in your area.