Tax assessment rose 65%! Best way to fight? - Posted by Bill (NY)

Posted by Bill (NY) on April 12, 2002 at 06:53:17:

Bill
Thanks for the info. I’m going out right now to put up my bandit signs for Sunday services in my garage. The Church of the Bonafides will be meeting at 12:00. Services should last about 10 minutes or until the donations are collected.
On the serious side, your comments triggered my memory. We had a guy years ago who was putting up signs on telephone poles in town. His signs said “Unitied we stand”. “Fight your taxes.” Our taxes were pretty stable for a while because of this guy. Haven’t seen any of his signs in a while, I suspect he may be called out of retirement soon. Until then, I’m going to give the assessor another shot.
Thanks again

Tax assessment rose 65%! Best way to fight? - Posted by Bill (NY)

Posted by Bill (NY) on April 11, 2002 at 19:55:06:

Hey

Hope someone can provide some info on fighting town property tax assessment. Mine rose 64%. Due to the crazy market here, the town I live in has decided to assess all homes, including mine, at full market value. They seem to be taking advantage of inflated home prices to fluff the town’s bank accounts.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any methods of fighting assessments other then the standard home comparisons. I’ve done this once before and got it lowered quite a bit on grievance day but the new assessor is pretty stubborn. She says to bring any “documentation” that would support my argument.
Every market has it’s highs and lows. How can I use that fact,or any “documentation” of that fact, to my advantage? Anyone know of any articles written recently concerning how low interest rates and the events of 9/11 are fueling the demand for housing in upstate NY? I would think that this is an abnormal combination of events and not realistic of true, long term, market values.

Thanks

Re: Tax assessment rose 65%! Best way to fight? - Posted by Joe C.

Posted by Joe C. on April 11, 2002 at 23:30:29:

Bill,
I’m in Little Rock, Arkansas. About 4 years ago, a suit by taxpayers successfully defeated a major tax increase brought about by re-valuation. We paid the higher tax for about 2 years and the city was forced to re-imburse tax payers as a result of the suit. I don’t recall the specifics of the suit, but if you’re serious about fighting, I’m sure an attorney could get this info and see if it would apply to your situation.
Hope this helps.
Joe C. (AR)

Assume the position… - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on April 11, 2002 at 21:25:49:

Bill (NY),
Sorry to tell you this, but you’re probably not going to have much luck with the methods you’ve outlined.
On the plus side, however, the property is worth more, so be glad of that at least.
Each municipality sets their yearly budget and then the value of the assessed real estate is taken and they come up with a mill rate per thousand to get the budget. If the values are higher, the mill rate should drop, unless they all vote themselves raises (and you can guess the probability of that). Unfortunately, municipal taxes are only one portion of the total. All the other special taxes are added as well as the school referendums, etc.
Depending on the new values, your taxes could be unbelieveable. (Don’t forget to vote in the next elections and get the people out who are on the tax and spend binge!) This happened in Calif. and soon people who were born and raised in the costal towns could not even afford the taxes on the places they lived in, so they got together and passed Proposition 13 in Calif., which froze assessed values at 1972 prices except for a small cost of living adjustment, or unless the property was sold. If sold, the new assessment went up to market price. Then you would have two virtually identical houses with tax on one at maybe $2000 a year and the other one at $15,000 a year. There is no escape from the tax man unless you are possibly a bonafide church.
Of course, you could sell at these high prices and either find a new place for less or possibly move to a less expensive area. I hear North Dakota has low taxes. Believe me, we all pay too much in taxes.
Bill

Re: Tax assessment rose 65%! Best way to fight? - Posted by Bill (NY)

Posted by Bill (NY) on April 12, 2002 at 06:30:56:

Thanks for the info. Right now they are saying taxes may go up on my property $750 a year based on last years rates. If they raise rates I’m sure there will be a lot of people looking to sue or hang someone. Right now I going to give the old fashioned way another shot and hope for the best

Thanks again.