Tax Question - Posted by Drew Brown

Posted by John Luvit on April 10, 2006 at 21:30:54:

Sounds SHADY in every aspect, from the seller to the buyer. Better keep it honest or you’ll regret not doing it right.

Tax Question - Posted by Drew Brown

Posted by Drew Brown on April 10, 2006 at 10:08:12:

I have this 4 bd that I got back in October. Its now time for property tax to be forked over, but here’s the hitch: The spring installment is due, and they’re asking for deliquent taxes from 03 and 04. I was never made aware of this , and Im wondering, shouldn’t that have been taken care of by the previous owner before they sold it to me? And once I take care of this, is it too early to try and sell as either a owner occupied home or investment property?

Re: Tax Question - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on April 11, 2006 at 08:56:47:

Drew,

Did you close this at a settlement agent or attorney’s office? If so, call them.

If you didn’t do a formal closing, and the taxes didn’t get paid, then I guess you’ve got a “lesson learned” on this one. I guess, depending on the amount, you could always sue the previous owner in small claims court. I’m not sure how a judge would view this. Your contract better say that the taxes should be prorated to the day of sale in order to try and go after him.

As far as it being okay to sell, why not? Is there something about this transaction or your loan that would prevent you from selling?

–Natalie