taxes on home please help!! - Posted by Robert MI

Posted by JLester on March 15, 2001 at 02:14:47:

What you typed was mean, you made fun of someones incorrect spelling…I actually felt guilty as I laughed for 5 minutes! Sorry sounds mean, but I couldnt help but to laugh…

Ok, resume REI

taxes on home please help!! - Posted by Robert MI

Posted by Robert MI on March 14, 2001 at 21:11:02:

while out driving today looking for rental houses I came across a great looking house that was for sale. stopped and look and the owner came out and we talked. it seems that he is getting devoiced and needs to sell now. the house has been for sale for about 8 months but now he said its got to go. he just want what he owes.

now the problem the price is right even below market. but the taxes are so high that I didn’t believe it when he told me $4897 a year.

I mean it’s a great area but come on. all the homes are priced at $300,000 and up.

I went and checked two sources to see if his numbers are right and they are so.

is there any way to get the taxes lowered?

he is very young when he built this home in 1994 and he said that they have gone up almost every year.

asking $254900
owes $236,000
and he is just ready to get out.

the house is a great bargain but the taxes we kill anyone.

please help!

Robert Fornwalt

That aint that bad … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on March 15, 2001 at 11:51:54:

Those taxes are nothing compared to here (NJ). That house could easily have taxes of $6,000-12,000 here. Easily - so don’t think this is that bad!

Ditto what everyone else said - check the other properties. I’ll bet you’ll see they’re no more or less than anybody elses.

RL

Re: taxes on home please help!! - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on March 14, 2001 at 23:00:12:

I’ve been successful at getting some properties reassessed, and the taxes reduced. Basically here the idea was to dispute the taxes, at which time an assessor looks at the property and recommends an assessment. If you disagree then you may require a hearing…where a panel will listen to your argument.

I’ve used my settlement sheet, pictures of the property (showing the work to be done), and other comps. But this is no easy task. The assessor will probably argue against you, so your arguments better be good (comps again).

Whether your taxes are unreasonable is impossible to say from here. Like someone else said, check some of the other properties in the area. My guess is that for a house in that price range they are not all that unreasonable.

JPiper

Make a deal fast… - Posted by wiseguy

Posted by wiseguy on March 14, 2001 at 22:07:53:

before he gets devoiced and you can no longer hear anything he says! LOL

Where’s it at Robert? (nt) - Posted by Blane (MI)

Posted by Blane (MI) on March 14, 2001 at 21:48:33:

Re: taxes on home please help!! - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on March 14, 2001 at 21:26:50:

check the taxes on the other similar houses in the neighborhood. if his are out of line, he may have a case for an appeal. if everyone’s are that high, then them’s the breaks. btw, if all the houses have taxes like that and houses in the area seem to be selling, maybe it’s not an issue for the buyers.

NT