Telling tenants you're owner? - Posted by James B

Posted by Christopher(OH) on March 19, 1999 at 21:39:27:

I agree with Laure completely. I don’t tell any of my tenants where I live. I like to keep my business and my private life completely separate. Telling these people where I live is to personal. I leave my address out of the phonebook and have a P.O. Box for business purposes. I tell my tenants that I don’t own the property they live in when I really do. I tell them I’m managing the houses for someone else. I believe when I kick someone out that they won’t damage the place as much if they think someone else owns it after I’m the bearer of the bad news. Its just how I’ve been doing things. Keep the good posts coming. Chris

Telling tenants you’re owner? - Posted by James B

Posted by James B on March 19, 1999 at 05:37:34:

I read one time that it’s better not to tell the tenants that you are the owner, rather, tell them that you are just the manager, and keep your ownership of the building hidden from the tenants.
1.) Is this a good idea?
2.) Is this a bad idea?
3.) Is this legally O.K.?
I personally think it is better to be upfront and honest with the tenants, treat them right, and your problems will be minimized.
Any thoughts on this?
James B.-Illinios

Don’t DO IT ! - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 19, 1999 at 11:52:54:

Give up your appeal to higher authority and you’ll never hear the end of it. After all since you are the OWNER you have to approve whatever they want. By “jsut doing you job” you can still consider the request. There is nothing immoral, illegal or fattening about it !
Just my $.02
Doug

Re: Telling tenants you’re owner? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on March 19, 1999 at 11:40:03:

I think this ploy is most often used during evictions. For example you come to the door and the guy hasn’t paid the rent and you tell him he’s got to go. The guy whines a little, tries to make you feel bad and begs you not to serve him a three-day notice.

Some people have suggested that you just say, “Well, I’d like to help you out, but unless I do what the owner tells me to, I’ll get fired. So, I’m sorry but here’s your three-day notice.”

Of course, you may very well be the owner. That may just be a ploy to avoid having to deal with the guilt-trips a tenant might try to send your way. Personally I am not bothered by that. I tell them straight out, don’t pay – don’t stay!!

Re: Telling tenants you’re owner? - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on March 19, 1999 at 11:14:00:

We have an office in town. That’s where we meet tenants, take apps, rent payments (chk or MO only, no cash), write contracts.
A few of the tenants know us personally already, and know where we live.
We tell them ALL that “Bob, our business manager” reviews all contracts, leases, apps, etc. After all, we ‘pay him good money for his advice and tend to follow it’.
Just don’t ask to meet “Bob”… he lives out of town… we communicate by phone/fax/email.
Some know we ‘own’ the properties; some think that Dennis is the handy man and that I’m the owner; some think that we just manage, I guess. We sign letters" The Management".
Hope this helps.
There isn’t one right way.
Carol

Re: Telling tenants you’re owner? - Posted by Robert McNeely

Posted by Robert McNeely on March 19, 1999 at 06:10:21:

In Ohio the Landlord /tenant law states you must disclose who the owner is. Of course this could be your company. I have never had a problem letting them know who I am or where I Live, Of course I don’t rent in the worst areas ether.

Re: Telling tenants you’re owner? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 20, 1999 at 07:30:26:

OOOHHH>>>> I think my hubby would obtain an ego problem if he were perceived as the “handyman” and me as the owner. You are lucky he does not !

Laure

Re: Telling tenants you’re owner? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 19, 1999 at 08:46:01:

OH… I NEVER tell them where I live ! Even a good Tenant in the best neighborhood could be the next John Wayne Gayce ! People are NOT inherantly (?) good ! When a guy loses his job, his wife, is losing his car, his house (yours) he is desparate… and I don’t want him knocking on my front door when he gets fed up after he got an eviction notice and wants to take it all out on the first one he runs into. His Landlord !

Nope, unlisted phone, and no personal address given here ! And I have all good properties, selling and renting at the top of the market !

My thoughts,
Laure :slight_smile: