Tenant cash flow issues - Posted by Lou Davis

Posted by Kathi on September 19, 2003 at 16:50:35:

Refer the tenant to the American Red Cross. In our area they have a list of organizations that do rent assistance.

Tenant cash flow issues - Posted by Lou Davis

Posted by Lou Davis on September 18, 2003 at 13:12:08:

My tenant has cancer, and is having problems getting to work to make rent. It is not so bad right now, as she is only one month + $100 late, but I can see that this will not resolve itself. She is a good tenant from what I understand (I bought in May, but she has been in building for 15 years), so I don’t want to evict her.

What can I do to get my money? Are there any rent assistance places I should contact on her behalf? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks a million!

-Lou Davis
lcdavis37@yahoo.com

Re: Tenant cash flow issues - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on September 19, 2003 at 14:25:36:

Yes, as Russ says do what you can to find them assistance. But if you cannot find a way for them to get enough monthy income to pay the rent, then you must have a serious chat with them. It was once explained to me like this:

“If you would not write this person a check for that amount per month as charity, then do not let them slide on rent for that amount. Never mix charity and business”

Do you know or can you find other members of their family to talk with about the situation? Action sooner is better and will save you $$$.

Ken

Re: Tenant cash flow issues - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on September 18, 2003 at 14:12:30:

We have had several tenants use social services to help them with rent. Salvation Army paid a month for one of my tenants, and Catholic services such as St. Vincent de Paul has paid on other occasions…even the housing authority in the city has paid …It will take some calling around (come to think of it a tenant’s church paid once…worth a try)but you should have a nice list of public/private services to help your tenant. Then you can call her and give her the info. Of course this will be a temporary solution to what sounds to be a long term problem. Your tenant seems to be, what we call downwardly mobile;The situation is getting worse with no hope of improvment in sight. Try to gently suggest the possibility of moving to her, telling her that if she’s in a lease you are willing to let her out of it and maybe even offer to help her with moving costs. It may seem cold hearted but unless you see her situation improving, find a way to get her out ASAP…the livlihood of your family is at stake.
Russ