"Tenant" counselling - Posted by Ben-NY

Posted by Dan - GA on October 09, 2003 at 08:12:55:

I offer my tenants a 2x per month payment, but the lot rent is $115/mo or $65/ half month. It does take extra time, effort and aggravation to go collect 2x per month.
Remember to pay yourself.

Dan

“Tenant” counselling - Posted by Ben-NY

Posted by Ben-NY on October 08, 2003 at 14:44:42:

Has anyone ever tried to counsell an existing tenant on budget issues. Beteween lot rent and the monthly to me this young couple (BOTH of whom work full time)need $325 per . And they are always behind to me and the park. I don’t get it. Its obvious they lack basic money management skills. I don’t believe drugs or alchohal are involved either.

Re: “Tenant” counselling - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Briton (IN) on October 08, 2003 at 16:20:02:

I have helped a few tenants get back on track. It seems to me that when i sit down and talk to a tenant, they feel “liked”. Many people who cant pay bills on time (but are willing to pay bills) usually just need a talk. If you treat them with respect, and tell them how they will save money in late fees, they will listen many times. Out of 5 situations like this i face, i can usually get 3 or 4 people on track, doing this. People are used to being “hassled or harrassed by creditors” as you see on the daytime bankrupt lawer’s commercials. So to many of them it makes them almost want to pay on time. Many peoples parents did a bad job teaching them as a child/teenager. They where never taught to be responsible, and unfortunatly they still need “talks” for the rest of their life. Dont give them talks every month, but once in a while will not hurt, Briton (IN)

Good points Briton! Try this too - Posted by Tennessee Bob

Posted by Tennessee Bob on October 09, 2003 at 07:43:01:

Briton makes some very good points if you can get the tenant to listen.
In this type of situation, it may also help to split the month in half. Make collections on the 1st and 15th. This helps people remember to pay and for folks that have a hard time managing money, it is easer to come up with $200 twice a month than it is to come up with $400 once a month. This approach will require more paperwork, but it will also give you a 15-day jump if they decide to just quit paying.

Good luck and GOD Bless
Tennessee Bob

good advise briton! nt - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on October 08, 2003 at 19:39:15:

`