tenant in CA - Posted by Helene

Posted by Gene on June 15, 2007 at 18:01:16:

Thanks for your insight.

Gene

tenant in CA - Posted by Helene

Posted by Helene on June 15, 2007 at 12:37:38:

Own a house in Adelanto CA, right next to Victorville. New house when tenants moved in 2.5 years ago. Moved to SC 1.5 years ago, they were never aware. Have never raised the rent on them as I know it’s better to keep them.

But. Just got an email saying they called a repair man out for the clothes dryer…they needed to have the lint cleaned out because the clothes were not drying. $80.00

They want to know if I want to send a check or they will take it out of the rent. Hum…these people feel “entitled” and perhaps I was to soft from the beginning as I wanted them to “feel comfortable” and stay. It’s a soft rental market. Lot’s of investors.

Anyway, I responded that this is the last time. I will pay this time, but in the future they need to call me with any problems.

I’ve got them on a month to month at this time. Also reminded them that most rentals don’t come with a washer and dryer, specifically, for this same reason. I think they have alot of cheek.

And what goes on in the mind of a tanant when the owner is out of state, managing the property. I know these people well enough to know they are taking care of the property.

Without being a hard nose…how do I regain control…these folks live off of government aid, not sec. 8 though and have to much time on their hands. They could potentially be alot of trouble.

Please advise.

Helene LaCaille

Re: tenant in CA - Posted by MikeT_Ca

Posted by MikeT_Ca on June 15, 2007 at 13:59:07:

Hi Helene,

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax.

You have had tenants in your place for 2 years and they have paid the rent on time without any problems.

Why do you feel that you are not in control? The machine was broken and they had it fixed.

I understand that you might not have liked being notified after the fact but it does not seem that the tenant has a habit of making repairs and asking you to pay. Now that you have instructed them to notify you the next time something breaks I think this problem will be resolved.

You say that they should be happy to have a W/D because most rentals do not come with one. I think you should be happy you have tenants because most houses in Adelanto do not have any and it takes a long time to find one.

Best of Luck,
Mike

Re: tenant in CA - Posted by Helene

Posted by Helene on June 15, 2007 at 14:40:54:

Spot on Mike. Thanks. I wish I had read your email before I responded to them. Now I have to back track and make nice.

Let this be a lesson for everyone. Don’t react so fast. It’s the story of my life.

Re: tenant in CA - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on June 15, 2007 at 17:16:18:

Its ok to be firm with tenants. I am always respectfull but very firm.

I have noticed with many tenants is you let something slide…they don’t appreciate it…they take it as a signal of your weekness and they start testing to see what they can get away with. Sounds bad…but go thru the archives on this forum…tenants can be a pain if you loose control.

Also just wondering, what is your stratagy for your rental in Adelanto? What is you opinion of the market there (short term and long term)?

Gene

Re: tenant in CA - Posted by Helene

Posted by Helene on June 15, 2007 at 17:43:12:

Thanks Gene: I have 8 renters whom I never hear a peep from. I have great luck with renters because I treat them with respect. This one is just a bit of a pain, as I said, she feels “entitled”. I wouldn’t be complaining, but this isn’t a first for her. The house was beautiful, new when they moved in. And by the way, Pulte Homes is by far the most superior builder I’ve dealt with.

I’m a RE Broker in CA and SC. I purchased four homes in 2004 in Adelanto, Victorville, Hesperia. Sold two at the height of the market and hold two. Flipped a fifth right in the nick of time last year.

I’m a buy and hold person. These are new homes which were purchased at the right time. The one I’m talking about I purchased for 230K, at it’s height it was 335, 340K mid 2006. Now, I believe due to the extremely high investor ownership prices have come down to 280K.

Let me put it this way. There’s 5 model matches on the market for roughly this price. It’s not a problem if your not selling.

I still believe in the area as it’s still one of the more affordable areas in CA. I read the daily press every day to pick up on the news, growth etc.

I’ve never had a problem only that now I’m in SC and am managing from afar…my tenants pay on time, so there’s nothing to manage really. The other house my tenants have been there two years. The problem will be when it comes to re-rent.

As far as purchasing to flip…only if you buy at a screaming deal.

Re: tenant in CA - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on June 17, 2007 at 14:30:20:

“The problem will be when it comes to re-rent.”

Totally agreeing with this… Potential or actual tenant turnover is where the long distance landlording model tends to break down.

Im curious how you plan on handling this if a tenant runs into trouble, skips (you wont know?), slow pays, no pays etc.