Tenant Mix - Posted by OhioBill

Posted by ray@lcorn on May 19, 2010 at 11:49:01:

Bill,

The biggest misconception about commercial real estate is that it’s complicated. Believe me, this ain’t rocket surgery…

In times like these successful investors are those who execute the fundamentals of marketing, sales and service.

From what I see in today’s talent pool, sales skills are a lost art. Making cold calls, asking for referrals, follow-up procedures, closing a deal vs. order-taking… these age-old practices are lost in today’s miasma of tweets, data mining, and auto-responders.

And many organizations have lost touch with the basics of providing value-added services that their customers need and desire. Doing more for your customers than the competition is the key to success in any business.

Leasing property is that simple. Those who understand the precepts of how to make a sale and deliver services as a value proposition have a competitive edge in the marketplace.

As Albert Einstein said, ?Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.?

And as my son often tells me, “Thank you Captain Obvious.”

ray

Tenant Mix - Posted by OhioBill

Posted by OhioBill on May 18, 2010 at 07:58:13:

If you had a little 3 unit Commercial Strip of approximatly 1500 s.f. per unit and you had one tenant that was a Pest Control Business, what would compliment that type of business?

Re: Tenant Mix - Posted by john

Posted by john on June 08, 2010 at 15:36:15:

I would not worry about what is a good compliment for the pest control business rather, rather what is a good compliment for the surrounding demographics/car traffic in that area. It could be that the pest control business is out of place and that the plaza should be geared toward a retail establishment. Hard to say without knowing more about your area. I’ve never seen a pest control business on a main highway. Usually these kind of business are tucked away in an industrial park type area.

Re: Tenant Mix - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on May 18, 2010 at 08:50:14:

Bill,

Almost any service business type would fit, perhaps with a slant toward home services. Home Inspectors, building trade contractors, realtors, etc.

I’d suggest asking the pest control tenant for names of companies that send them referrals, and those they most often refer people to for some other service.

An example: the legal division of a state agency is a tenant in one of our office buildings. We had a vacant suite in the building and asked the agency office manager if there was any organization or company that would benefit from being close to their office. She gave us a referral (and made an introductory call) to a non-profit conflict-resolution organization, which leased the space immediately.

ray

Re: Tenant Mix - Posted by OhioBill

Posted by OhioBill on May 18, 2010 at 09:57:53:

Thanks Ray that makes a lot of sense, that is why you are so successful and I havent even started yet…