Tenant problem - Posted by Mordy(NJ)

Posted by JPiper on December 12, 2000 at 10:49:28:

My guess is that if she gets a restraining order against him, that he can’t enter the apartment. What else would she need other than that?

But from your perspective I think you’re wise not to involve yourself. You can’t simply remove a name from the lease without the other parties agreement. To legally remove someone from the apartment requires a legal process…perhaps an eviction. An eviction requires “cause”…which you may or may not have depending on what is contained in your lease.

Further, from your perspective, it’s better to have two people on the lease than one. I wouldn’t do anything unless they breach the lease…at which time I would evict BOTH, not one.

JPiper

Tenant problem - Posted by Mordy(NJ)

Posted by Mordy(NJ) on December 12, 2000 at 10:29:30:

I rented a unit to a boy and girl friend a couple of months ago.I got a phone call from her that he is being abusive to her and she is seaking a restaining order against him she would like me to either take her or remove him from the lease.I dont realy want to get involved in their dispute and I dont even know if he is capable of paying the rent himself.Need help on how to handle this situation.Thanx

Re: Tenant problem - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on December 16, 2000 at 20:26:37:

Yes. Under no circumstances should you let either of them off the hook. If they screw you, then evict them both - by name.

This is one of the wonderful things about our wonderful government; we are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of “family status” even when long experience tells us that boyfriend-girlfriend goes bad about 90% of the time.

Good luck. Show no mercy. Hold them both responsible.

Re: Tenant problem - Posted by jasonTX

Posted by jasonTX on December 13, 2000 at 19:12:26:

I wouldn’t remove him from the lease under any circumstances. You would just create all sorts of problems for yourself, while solving none of hers. You may want to “OFFER” to release them both from their lease if you have doubts about them paying rents. She may just want out.