Tenant wants to spruce up - Posted by Tim (ME)

Posted by Arthur on August 01, 2003 at 12:24:05:

I would go with what GL-ON said.

Don’t just say NO!..tell him something along the lines of, “thats a big job, how about doing …[what gl-on said]”.

As a policy, i always let tenants paint their apts as long as its a neutral color. I always pay for the paint and materials, as i would rather they do it then have to do it myself :)…alot easier to pay $50 on paints etc and let them do it, let them be happy with the place (and take more pride in the place as it feels like “their” place), and stay there a long time.

Tenant wants to spruce up - Posted by Tim (ME)

Posted by Tim (ME) on July 31, 2003 at 19:29:16:

I have a tenant who asked me today if I would allow him to spruce up his apartment. He wants to remove the wood paneling on the walls, and paint the walls underneath. He said he’s “tired of living in the 70’s”. He said “I’ll provide the labor if you buy the paint and supplies”.

First of all, this project isn’t anywhere near as simple as he thinks. I’m considering allowing him to just paint the paneling and buy his own paint. He’s a good tenant, always pays on time, and has few if any issues with the place otherwise.

Anyone here had this situation? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim (ME)

NO!!! - Posted by Long Beach Ed

Posted by Long Beach Ed on August 01, 2003 at 10:04:20:

I wouldn’t let him touch the place unless it’s such a dump that he couldn’t hurt anything.

Most tenants are unmotivated slobs with little skill. On the slim chance that he finishes what he starts, you’ll have to undo his mess when he leaves anyway,

Bite the bullet, Tim. Tell him you’ll do the work if if he’ll pay 1/3 of your cost. It will raise the value of the apartment and your next tenant can pay more rent.

Believe me, if he had any skill, he wouldn’t be living in that hole with dark paneling on the walls.

Ed

Cover & Paint - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on August 01, 2003 at 09:38:05:

I agree with GL-ON, there is a wall paper product available at Good paint stores, don?t know what it?s called but it is very thick ? twice as thick as regular wall paper, it?s designed to cover crack?s in plaster walls, wood paneling BAD walls? It leaves a textured fabric like surface perfect for painting; ask a pro at the paint store. I?ve seen this stuff cover bowing and big cracks in plaster walls 80-100years old it?s amazing.

Re: Tenant wants to spruce up - Posted by Don Dion

Posted by Don Dion on August 01, 2003 at 24:13:08:

Take a picture of your room with the paneling in it and then stop in to see a few real estate agents in your town to see what they have to say about the paneling and the loss in value when reselling.
I have scene condo’s were they had dark paneling from the 70’s in them go for $20,000 less then condo’s in the same building that had nice bright drywall walls. The unit will look bigger and brighter. The realtor’s would be able to tell you if in the long run it’s really the best thing you can do. I have not scene the room the tennant wants done but I cant imagine it would cost more to redrywall and paint a small room then it would be to referb the unit carpeting and paint for the next tenant.

Re: Tenant wants to spruce up - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on July 31, 2003 at 20:28:37:

Don’t do it! 9 chances out of 10 it will be the biggest mess you ever saw and guess who gets stuck fixing it - you.

I have tried letting tenants fix things and paint things. Never again. It cost 3 times as much time and money to fix up the mess as it would have cost to do the job right in the first place.

The only exception would be if the tenant is a professional carpenter or house painter. Even then it will likely never get finished.

Especially never let anyone take down panelling!! That stuff was put up for a reason, probably because the wall was shot to blazes. If it wasn’t shot before it will be after you pull off the panelling, and it doesn’t matter if it was glued on or nailed to strapping.When you take off panelling you should count on re drywalling the whole room.

Here is the way to spruce up panelling. Fill the grooves and seams with spackle and cover the wall with wallpaper.

One wall will brighten up a whole room. Look for the wallpaper that fits together to make a mural.

Another thing that will brighten up a room is tp paint the ceiling with ceiling white. It is cheap and everyone I have shown this trick to was surprised at what a big difference it makes. I paint all my apartments parchment with white ceilings. Use a pad to cut around the edges.

Re: Tenant wants to spruce up - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on July 31, 2003 at 19:47:44:

Hey Tim,

I let a tenant do that one time. She is a very good tenant and is still with me to this day. She wanted to paint the walls and did a great job.

I payed for the paint of course. But there was no wood paneling to remove. Is this tenant handy? You may want to find out if this is something this tenant can handle.

If it were me I would have him paint over the paneling…its safer that way. You never know the guy could damage the place if he is not careful ripping wood off of the walls.

Regards,

RichV(FL)

Re: Cover & Paint - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on August 01, 2003 at 12:44:37:

Actually I was thinking of regular wallpaper. You can usually get enough to do one wall on sale for very little money.

The thick stuff you mentioned could probably be used without filling the cracks. I have seen it but haven’t used it myself.

There is another product I have used, which is panelling that makes a mural when it is all up. The scene I used featured trees, and a stream.

I have used this to replace one wall of a panelled room. It not only avoided the problem of matching the panelling, it really gave the room a lift.