Tenants first right of refusal - Posted by Tetrahedron

Posted by dealmaker on July 27, 2007 at 13:31:57:

Not in any jurisdiction that I’m aware of.

dealmaker

Tenants first right of refusal - Posted by Tetrahedron

Posted by Tetrahedron on July 27, 2007 at 08:25:31:

I just want to know for sure that if purchasing a SFH, which currently is a rental unit, doesn’t the seller (landlord) have to give the tenant (first right of refusal) to purchase the property ? If so what is the time frame for the tenant to respond, etc.

Also where could I find this information in the form of a law statue ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Re: Tenants first right of refusal - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on July 27, 2007 at 21:55:47:

Not that I’m aware of. I normally terminate the rental before selling to prevent any issues over (1) the condition of the property, (2) the viability of the tenant.

2 sets of laws to check - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on July 27, 2007 at 14:50:14:

Landlord-Tenant Laws are to be found in your state’s statutes under that heading so that’s where your basic state law is to be found.

Also, if you’re in a city of any size that city might well have city ordinances dealing with LL/T rights and obligations. The bigger cities are mostly, these days, quite liberal and left-leaning and give the T lots of rights to the detriment of the LL.

Your closest law library, either at the courthouse or law school will have both sets of laws handy for your reference and the librarian will help you find them.

Also your city/area is probably going to have a Rental Association for LLs so find them or their website and they’ll have such info for you in detail.

I wouldn’t think of being in the rental business today without belonging to one or more rental organizations because the LL is such a target for lawsuits and complaints