Texas v. New Mexico? - Posted by stacy

Posted by DougO(NM) on August 13, 2003 at 15:45:59:

I think the Dealer License is $200 per year Also need a Salespersons license if the Dealer is not a natural person, plus the cost of the Bond.

Texas v. New Mexico? - Posted by stacy

Posted by stacy on March 26, 2002 at 12:39:40:

Hi - newbie here. With all the talk re: Texas dealership and warranty requirements I’m wondering if New Mexico might be a better place to start. Any thoughts? I’m in the El Paso/Las Cruces area.

Re: Texas v. New Mexico? - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 26, 2002 at 20:01:38:

Well, I’d say there’s always a chance you can find diamonds in your own back yard! I would check out both areas, it doesn’t hurt to try one in each,however I am partial to New Mexico! THere’s a good number of parks in the Cruces area, though I don’t know how the market is. Good Luck

Doug

dreaded license question - Posted by stacy

Posted by stacy on March 29, 2002 at 10:25:02:

Thanks for the encouragement Doug! From your other posts I see you are in Santa Fe. I hate to bring up a question that has been discussed over and over, but here goes - do you have a license? I have looked at both the Texas and New Mexico statutes and to my reading we would need one. I may be a bit overly concerned about this question as I am a young attorney and I am afraid it would be hard for me to plead ignorance. With that being said - my personal injury practice sure leaves me grasping for straws in this area. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I figure I can do at the very least one deal in Texas and one in New Mexico before I really have to face that issue. So I might as well try one - right?

A Question of Ripeness - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 29, 2002 at 16:29:17:

Because this is a public forum, and it’s quite possible that someone posing as DougO(NM)wrote this post, I’d of course deny ever saying this, but I think that folks could go a LONG time buying and selling MH’s without out benefit of a “license”, (License = The permission by some competent authority to do an act which, without such permission, would be illegal, a trespass, a tort, or otherwise not allowable. Blacks 6th Ed.) We could go round and round all day about “competent authority” and other such trivial nonsense, but thats a discussion for another day, and besides, the Feds blew the “Freemen” right off their alloidial title land and into a Federal Prison, so let’s not even go there. Anyway, I maintain a license. I operate as a domestic corporation. I am vanilla. I put civil servants to sleep, (and LIKE it) Besides, since I am involved in the industry on a state level and now on a national level, and it behooves me to have the little piece of scrip from the state. (It just wouldn’t do to be a renegade now would it?) By all means, my reading of the statutes says “more than” one buy/sell per year requires the license, so go for the one in each jurisdiction. (HINT:Of course if you like it, do it again as someone or something else.) I’d want to know that I want to be in the business before I got involved in paying homage to the king’s coffers for a “license”. How can that be determined until one has tested the waters a few times? So therefore until you’ve done a few deals and have checked out the business and the local market, the issue of “to license or not to license”, I submit, is not ripe for reveiw counsellor.

Best of luck, drop me a line if I can be of further confusion.

Doug

(PS…it’s been a long long long long, did I mention long, day. I’m probably a bit punchy right now)

Re: dreaded license question - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on March 29, 2002 at 13:09:14:

Stacy,
You may have already read this but, just in case, it might be a way to get into the business without worrying about the license issue right away.
All the best, Lyal
http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/14127.html

Re: A Question of Ripeness - Posted by Marcos

Posted by Marcos on August 12, 2003 at 22:42:03:

Hey Doug,

Just wondering, how much does a license in New Mexico cost?

Thanks,
Marcos

Thanks! - Posted by stacy

Posted by stacy on April 01, 2002 at 12:21:35:

Thanks for the insight! This forum has been very helpful - it’s nice being able to bounce ideas off of other interested people. I’m working on possibly deal #1 in NM and we’ll see how it goes!