Texus Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Greg A on October 29, 1998 at 22:20:49:

I come up with a yield of 94.8

I use a HP 10B so my key strokes may not help you, but for #2 I come up with 36.3 months using the following:

I/YR = 12.75
PV = 4500
PMT = -150
Pressed N and received 36.3

I’m new to this so I hope someone can check my results. Hope this helps.

Greg

Texus Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on October 28, 1998 at 16:52:51:

Hello gang,

It’s me again. I received a TI BA-35 financial calculator and Rich Dad, Poor Dad for my 25th birthday that past. (Oct. 17th)

I know how to use the book, but the calculator is making me angry. I figured out how compute mortgage payments, but I don’t know how to figure out yields on investments (for Lonnie Deals) and yes, I went to DOW and took Lonnie’s figures and played around, but NEVER came out with the right answers.

Can someone please tell me what buttons to push? And also, are there any formulas to know when dealing with Rehabs. (Because I bought Buy it, Fix it, Sell it, Profit for myself for my birthday) If you know of the formulas please explain them as well.

Thanks gang,

Talk to you soon,

CAREY

Re: Texus Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Barbara (ME)

Posted by Barbara (ME) on October 29, 1998 at 21:17:32:

I have had more problems with that calculator! Per your example I would put in the investment of 2000 (2500 less 500 down payment) as a minus because it is outgoing ( put in 2000, then the minus sign at the bottom, then hit loan…the TI has no PV button),then payment of $175.96, then 30 and hit “2nd, term”. Then CPT 1%.However, my yield is 115.38! I have never been able to hit Lonnie’s figures either but figured it might be the difference in calculators???Make sure you set your calculator at “end” instead of “bgn” (see manual)
In my success story JP said I had the yield wrong…she got 88 and when I went back and set it to “end” I got 80.8.As Lonnie says…good enough!
Can someone else besides Carey with a TI BA calculator double check this?
I even called the company and they were no help.
Thanks
Barbara (ME)

Re: Texus Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on October 29, 1998 at 12:09:54:

Carey–

Read the manual that came with the calculator. --Eduardo

Re: Texus Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Greg A

Posted by Greg A on October 29, 1998 at 08:15:40:

There is a string in the Cash Flow forum on this site called “Calculator Help” I initiated that really helped me. Hope this helps.

Re: Texus Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Mr Donald (NORVA)

Posted by Mr Donald (NORVA) on October 28, 1998 at 17:10:02:

Give an example, with your methods, and answers - and I’d be glad to help you out.

Re: Texas Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Mr Donald (NORVA)

Posted by Mr Donald (NORVA) on October 30, 1998 at 15:46:33:

My TI BA-35 Solar has a PV button.

Thanks Greg and Mr. Donald and… - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on October 29, 1998 at 16:18:31:

Eduardo,

Wow! I would have NEVER thought of reading the manual!! What a great idea!

CAREY

P.S. :slight_smile: sorry, but I was being a little sarcastic. Read the manual…don’t you think I did that already!

Ok, here’s an example… - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on October 29, 1998 at 16:42:55:

straight from Lonnie’s DOW book on pg. 10.

I bought a mh for $2500.

I sold it for $5,000 with $500 cash down.

So, I’m taking back a note for $4,500 for 30 months at 12.75% interest, monthly payments of $175.96.

Question #1, what’s my yield?

Question #2, using the TI BA-35, how would I figure out the monthly payments or for how many months they would have to make the monthly payments for if I didn’t have that information? Let’s assume for this example everything is the same, $4,500 note, 12.75%, but the buyer wants to pay $150/month, how would I figure out how many months is appropriate?

Please, if you have time, when you respond use the keys that I should press on my calculator.

Thanks and I appreciate your time,

CAREY

Re: Texas Instrument BA-35, HELP! - Posted by Barbara (ME)

Posted by Barbara (ME) on October 30, 1998 at 17:50:35:

Mine isn’t solar and does not.
Barbara (ME)

Re: Thanks Greg and Mr. Donald and… - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on October 30, 1998 at 17:05:23:

Carey–

The TI business calculator manuals were developed by Elbert B.Greynolds, Jr., a professor of accounting at Southern Methodist University. He was the major author of the definitive book on calculator time value of money techniques: “Financial Analysis Using Calculators,” McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1980 (out-of-print). My college students never had trouble learning using this manual or the Hewlett-Packard manuals (for their great financial calculators). Lonnie’s examples are a little hard to follow now and then, but stick with them and it all comes together. If we just gave you the answers, you wouldn’t be learning how to work the problems in real life. --Eduardo