Thank you gift for loan officer? - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by SCook85 on January 19, 2001 at 22:25:04:

Ron,
I have always given gift certificates to nice restaurants for jobs well done.

Steve

P.S. Do you want to share their name??? :slight_smile:

Thank you gift for loan officer? - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on January 19, 2001 at 20:48:21:

Iā€™ve had a good string of loans settled with one particular loan officer. I know he is paid for what he does, but my deals are all small ($60k - $80K) and they are in a special program that has a small commission for the loan officer.

Iā€™d like to show my appreciation in a legal, ethical, and tax deductible way. Iā€™m thinking of something like a $500 Circuit City gift certificate or a $500 ā€œget-away-weekendā€ hotel package.

Any thoughts on the concept or the particular gift?

Thx.

Ron Guy

Re: Thank you gift for loan officer? - Posted by Fred

Posted by Fred on January 22, 2001 at 21:58:03:

Yikes Ron,
I didnā€™t know you were such a big spender! A gift certificate to Ruthā€™s Chris Steakhouse is a nice gift that I have used.

How 'bout a box of ā€¦ - Posted by SusanL.ā€“FL

Posted by SusanL.ā€“FL on January 22, 2001 at 11:50:33:

ā€¦Hickory Farm assorted cheeses and meats? That way his whole family can enjoy it.

$500. does seem exorbitantā€“and could be construed as a ā€˜bribeā€™.

Re: Thank you gift for loan officer? - Posted by Bob (Md)

Posted by Bob (Md) on January 20, 2001 at 01:10:30:

You might want to be sensitive that many companies nowadays have ethics guidelines that frown on the receipt of gifts that might be large enough to be considered as ā€œinfluenceā€. Although I understand that you want to put your money where your heart is, you might make the gift a bit smaller so it doesnā€™t get the loan officer in trouble or cause an ethical dillema. Clearly a hand-written thank you note should be the minimum gesture, and Iā€™d go for some sort of gift certificate for a nice store or restaurant. Personally, Iā€™d shoot for $50 or so - no more than $100. Again, it is to protect the loan officerā€™s position, not to be cheap.

But then again, I may be too sensitive, dealing with ā€œgummintā€ all the timeā€¦