Thanks JoeK - guys who will work for food! - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on March 13, 2002 at 16:47:51:

Yes Tim,

I really was kidding… and I know Joe was as well.

Heidi

Thanks JoeK - guys who will work for food! - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on March 12, 2002 at 17:59:48:

Thanks for the great idea below regarding bandit signs - I SWEAR I’M GOING TO DO THIS…

hire…“guys who will work for food (and hold your sign)”

I’ve always wanted to Help the Homeless…

What a concept - a homeless person WEARING A SIGN (or waving a sign) that says…WE BUY HOUSES.

It’ll certainly get publicity - hell, I’m calling my buddy at the WSJ as soon as I get my signs and find my ‘employees’.

THANKS AGAIN JOE - YOUR A GENIUS!

hmmm…perhaps I’ll think this through a bit more - but definately a non-traditional way to go.

It was a joke . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on March 12, 2002 at 21:40:18:

And I was just regurgitating what someone else has already said.

But if you do it . . . you must let us know who calls.

Joe

Re: Thanks JoeK - guys who will work for food! - Posted by KC Questions

Posted by KC Questions on March 12, 2002 at 21:33:34:

Last August I received a call from one of my tenants stating that there were some people living in the bushes behind my apartment building. The tenant said they tried to scare them off, but were told they weren’t going anywhere and would be staying as long as they wanted. When I heard that, I initially wanted to go over there and physically remove them, but I gave myself time to calm down so that I could do some creative thinking. I went over to the apartment, and sure enough, they were living in the bushes. I told them that I was the manager and that I couldn’t have them living there. I asked if they were hungry, which of course they said yes. I told them that I would give them $10 if they picked up all of the trash in the lot next door to the building and they happily agreed. The lot belongs to the city, but I knew that since it is next door, it affects the appearance of my building. I told them that I would be back in two hours. I left and went to the nearest burger king and got two king size value meals. When I returned, only an hour had passed and I could tell that they had been working hard. I gave them the meals and $40 for their work and they were extrememly grateful. I left so that they could finish their last hour’s work and I have never seen them again.

I felt pretty good after this considering my first idea of physically removing them might have backfired. They might have came back another day, or could have caused some property damage before they left. Doing it this way, I might have ended up paying them to leave, but I also got some work done that I was not looking forward to do (after all, I hate picking up after other people). It was a win-win situation for all of us.

Re: Thanks JoeK - guys who will work for food! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 12, 2002 at 20:38:27:

Hmmm. I didn’t see Joe’s post, but that seems a little crazy to me. I mean if I had a house I needed to sell, I don’t see myself calling a phone number held by a homeless person on the roadside. I would think, gee he doesn’t have enough money to even eat, but he will buy my house for cash. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Re: Thanks JoeK - guys who will work for food! - Posted by Michelk (TX)

Posted by Michelk (TX) on March 12, 2002 at 20:21:18:

Well, here in Arlington, Texas, for the past 6 months, I’ve seen a guy holding a 2’x2’x8’ piece of wood on which 6 (six) signs are nailed to that post. He stands near a busy intersection, close to a mall, every Saturday. Talking about marketing idea! He probably gets paid about $10./hr and stays there for 8-10hrs! And believe me, there’s major traffic at that intersection!

I hope you are kidding - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 12, 2002 at 20:11:25:

Heidi,

About 6 months ago I jokingly told me friend I was going to do this. I would not hire the homeless to hold up your sign. It will look more like you are taking advantage of them. It doesn’t matter whether you are or not, thats the way it will look.

I would pass on this idea.

If you want to help the homeless, why not donate food to the homeless shelter. Or hire the,m to rake your yard or clean out a building.

Just my opinion,
Tim

Re: If we were them… - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on March 13, 2002 at 19:46:12:

we would probably find another property of yours
and set up tent. Hey, $40 and meal, can’t beat that!
LOL

But serious, I respect what you did and what you
accomplished. It shows love and the creativity to
find cheap labor.

Happy Investing,

GregNY

Re: Thanks JoeK - guys who will work for food! - Posted by CTGal

Posted by CTGal on March 13, 2002 at 12:36:11:

Creative…and for the betterment of all involved. Bravo for taking a possibly nasty situation and making it into such a positive experience/solution for everyone. Not everyone would have even bothered to calm down and think of a way to peacefully resolve a situation like this.
This helps to show that we should never expect the worst from someone. Sure, not everyone would have stayed and finished the job after being fed and “pre-paid”, but you gotta have some faith in people. You never know what you’re gonna get.