The Disappearing Tenant. - Posted by Jamie

Posted by JPiper on May 16, 2000 at 13:36:24:

I’d check out your state Landlord-Tenant Law. In my state, there is a process to go through to determine abandonment. The process is essentially to provide written notice by certified letter and/or posting at the last known address of the tenant. A brief waiting period. Then you may enter the property.

What I wouldn’t do personally is to just enter the property without any notice whatsoever, and without observing your particular state process.

There are a few cases of tenant’s later claiming that a “valuable” has disappeared…you don’t want to be on the end of that. So be careful and observe your state law, and when you do enter have a witness.

I think you can find your state law through either findlaw.com, or mrlandlord.com

JPiper

The Disappearing Tenant. - Posted by Jamie

Posted by Jamie on May 16, 2000 at 11:51:14:

Hello,

I have a non-paying tenant. My local sheriff’s office has been attempting to serve a 5 day notice to pay or quit for some time but has been unable to catch my elusive tenant at home. I too have been unable to catch this fella. There is still stuff in the apartment but there has been no sign of my tenant.

My question is this; at what point can I assume that my tenant has moved out and is gone for good? When can I go in and pack the stuff, change the locks and start showing my apartment again? This is part of a triplex and my other tenats haven’t seen this fella either. This tenant hasn’t been seen for about a month.

Any help is greatly appreciated !!

Jamie