The Slow Flip - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 19, 2011 at 12:07:02:

Shawn,

Your concern for filling vacancies is one that should always be present. This reinforces my argument for small parks.

If you have to fill a hundred vacancies it is one thing.

With the small parks I am talking about 3 to 10 unit parks. It is not quite as challenging to fill a handfull of units as it is to fill dozens.

By buying low and remodelling the homes with landlord friendly repairs you can build a nice, clean and marketable home that will last. By working on one at a time it would not be so overwhelming and you can pick your tenant instead of just putting a warm body in a house in the hopes of cutting costs which is what I see investors doing in an effort to cut vacancies.

As you complete one home of the 3 to 10 homes you rent it and then move on to the next. Each home gets your attention and the completed home is in good shape so it will not require repair/service calls and even if it did the home would be next door to the one you are working on instead of across town.

Tony

The Slow Flip - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 19, 2011 at 10:26:38:

I have never been a ?flipper,? always gravitating to the buy and hold strategy but as times and life circumstances changed I have sold some of my properties. Most of those few that were sold were very, very slow flip that I had rented for many years before deciding to sell. I still hold the bulk of my portfolio and have a few left that I will ?cull? as time and opportunity allow.

Back in the days of easy credit I knew many, many people making money buying and flipping houses. When the credit crisis finally came home to roost, many were left holding the bag on houses they could not unload (kind of like a game of musical chairs and the music stopped).

As foreclosures continue and prices on low income housing are suppressed, I think we will find a niche opportunity to buy a low prices (making your money when you buy). In most single unit properties, the ability to flip for a profit is low as I see it for the near future. Buying and holding vacant units to flip is an alligator that could consume you. Renting individual units while you market a property to end buyer?s seems like a poor plan. If you are marketing rental properties to investors then the presence of a good tenant in the property is a plus, not a minus.

The small mobile home parks, in my opinion, offer a unique opportunity for new investors. These properties are flooding the market, at least in comparison to when I bought mine years ago. The prices are down and many are foreclosures. Yes, the will need work but that is our opportunity to buy lower, increase value quickly, rent to provide the income we need to hold the property and flip over a couple of years.

Sure a couple of years sounds like a long time but remember you will be receiving rental income from the properties and you will need that time to dollhouse up the mobile homes, clean up the property and establish a good tenant base to market to investors.

With individual unit properties you are limited by the market appreciation and value added by a remodel. Income is not a big factor.

With the small mobile home park one can increase value greatly in a few years as described above. That equity capture is what can launch you into bigger deals, pay off your other deals or just increase your nest egg.

It is a blue collar approach I admit but I see more potential here than in other areas.

Just food for thought.

Tony Colella

Re: The Slow Flip - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 19, 2011 at 10:50:41:

You can’t overemphasize the possibilities so long as there is good reliable income from a property.

Re-reading some of Lonnies writings - the multi family that he bought from a seller who had let it run down. Lonnie later sold and carried the paper, but the comment “I quickly rented the vacant units” jumped out at me. We as investors had better have a plan in place to quickly get money coming in.We are pretty vulnerable when our entire marketing plan consists of a sign in the yard and an ad in the classified ad section of our local paper.IMHO, if that is all it takes in your market then great- enjoy it while you can- but it probably won’t always be that way (because more supply will soon be built in a such a market.)