The Tax Man Ruins the Day.... - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by AWWMi. on January 11, 2004 at 15:08:32:

way back in 1966! Glad we’re not under British rule!
jmo
Adrian :slight_smile:

The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on January 10, 2004 at 15:54:00:

Cruising along on what has been a pretty decent Saturday…
Reunion Breakfast with some old co-workers…
Computer guy over fixing a few things…
Lunch, laughs and watching basketball with a couple of good friends…
Make an Offer on a Pre-foreclosure property (looks like it will fly)…
Visit the Health Club…
Go to the Mailbox… (this is where the trouble begins)
In the mail I received $ 22,402 worth of property tax bills and $ 3200. of utility bills…
That just turned an otherwise great day into a real bummer… I guess it runs with the territory, but I just wasn’t expecting that today.
OK, I’m done crying about this, and will go pay the bills…

JT-IN

Re: The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on January 10, 2004 at 17:58:09:

Annual or semi-annual?

Joe

You’re looking at this all wrong. - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on January 10, 2004 at 17:41:14:

You should be happy. You’re in a pretty good spot, being that you have enough going on to pay $22,402 in taxes. It’s all relative, you know. Instead of complaining about it, you should take comfort in the fact that you’ve got enough to get taxed to such a degree. What do you think Donald Trump’s property taxes are???

You know, JT, when I get to where you are, instead of crying over my tax bill, I’ll be…well…I’ll…

OH, I’m not kidding anyone here. I’ll complain twice as hard as you!!! Just trying to send a little humor your way on the matter. Still, I am jealous of your tax bill. Mine wasn?t nearly as large. Someday…someday.

Re: The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 10, 2004 at 16:38:02:

Every November when property taxes come due, I think to myself … I’m writing checks (or paying via mortgage payments) to the tax man something like $20,000 in property taxes and yet they never have enough money for roads and schools. What the hell are they doing with all this money I’m sending in???

Unfortunately, SemiAnnual… and - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on January 10, 2004 at 18:10:52:

These are just Ohio properties.

The Indiana properties, due to a screw up in late assessment haven’t yet been billed for all of last year. We do not yet know the new assessed amount, so the bill will be for the whole year, and undoubtedly a big surprise.

These counties in midwest cities of diminishing population, simply divide their operating costs over the property owners remaining… Of course, this isn’t how it really works, but it seems darned close.

JT-IN

Re: The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on January 11, 2004 at 09:58:53:

Hi Rob. You know how most people on this board can support the idea of getting started in REI with just a little money? Well education is in the same boat. It’s not about the money. It’s about commitment and creativity. About persistence.

Thousands of families in CA are homeschooling their kids, without directly receiving any of the benefits of their tax dollars. Some families do this with one income. Some live on less than 20K a year. I lived for years on less than 10K. The kids get a fine education. That’s been documented now, over and over again. But what’s not talked about is that it doesn’t cost that much money to teach Johnny to read. But it does cost a ton of money to run an institution and a bureaucracy.

Of course, the focus in the US is on financial success and military power. And if we could move the money over to education, it would help the infrastructure and pay people better. But, in my opinion, we could educate our citizens for very little money by putting our energy and creativity behind it.

Happy check writing.:slight_smile: Sincerely, Kristine

Re: The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on January 10, 2004 at 19:42:05:

Rob,

Boy are we on the same page. Lynn and I say the same thing ourselves. Every November those taxes go up but services stay the same (which is not much).

Its a shame. This state is a good place to live…we just have to get alot of the coruption out of our school systems and get some good people in there.

I feel thats the root of the problem.

Regards,

RichV(FL)

Re: The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on January 10, 2004 at 19:05:47:

I agree Rob (Fl) I just read an article not to long ago about how bad of a shape the schools are in Fl and their a grasping at straws - by consider letting some kids gradute in the 10th or 11th grade. darn shame.

Re: Unfortunately, SemiAnnual… and - Posted by BILL TAYLOR

Posted by BILL TAYLOR on January 12, 2004 at 21:10:46:

JT I sent in 54000 on the 19th of Dec. to cover the fall tax. Boy what a hit.

Double “ouch” (nt) - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on January 10, 2004 at 23:22:03:

no text

Re: The Tax Man Ruins the Day… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 11, 2004 at 19:26:54:

The education system is a whole other subject. There are alot of great teachers out there in the schools. But the school system itself has been so broken for so long that it will take a miracle to bring it back. Most public schools are extremely boring, teach subjects that will never be used in the “real world”, and don’t teach subjects that kids need to know in order to survive in the “real world.” It’s a true shame. Few good teachers don’t last long because of the meager career potential and the much higher pay in the private sector. And of course the teachers unions don’t want any change except for more pay and more benefits to the teachers.

That’s just my take.

Home schooling is an interesting idea. I’ve seen some fantastic parents that home school their kids and I’ve seen some frightening parents do the same.