There is no End to the Learning Curve

Once in a while, Tony reminds us of ‘landlord-friendly’ renovations and installations, also known as ‘tenant-proofing’ a home. We adopted his advice by eliminating most of the unhygienic carpeting and replacing it with laminate flooring or ceramic tile, where appropriate. From the forums and from our occasional meetings, we gleaned some ‘landlord-friendly’ management which improved the quality of our life.

1. We do not supply garbage dumpsters, but expect tenants to employ the services of a disposal company. (We pay for our own refuse removal.)
  2. The tenants are responsible for all the utilities they use. (We pay for our own consumption.)
  3. We supply a stove and a dishwasher. We explain that a fridge, a microwave, a T.V., or a Bar-b-queue are considered personal property and are part of the tenant’s personal belongings.
  4. We enforce our late payment expectations and insist on a telephone call to alert us of an anticipated default.
  5. Lately we have been using Tony’s one page ‘Check-in Sheet,’ which tenants seem to like, and so do we.
    We are fortunate to have hardly a vacancy, and all tenants understand the program. Still, tenants are tenants, and their quality can be assessed only after they have vacated a home.

Landlord unfriendly

As you know, I’m not officially a landlord. I’m a Lonnie Dealer with low flying buyers.

As far as landlord friendly goes, I would like to point out the downside of laminating floors. I have had three homes’ laminate damaged by water. So if you are not buying the water-resistant kind of laminate that Tony talks about, beware.

Most recently, I repo’d a home after the park reported water coming out the front of it (they shut the water off). Apparently my buyer left quietly 25 days prior and let the pipes freeze. The kitchen faucet blew off in the thaw causing water to fountain onto the living room and kitchen floors. It caused swelling of the edges of about 40% of the laminate, the water was also trapped between the laminate and the subfloor causing part of the subfloor to collapse. There was no way for it to dry out. If I had water-resistant laminate, I could have pulled it up, repaired the subfloor and moved on. I have yet to find water-resistant laminate in Cincinnati.

I’m thinking a truly landlord-friendly installation would be a drain in the floor of each bathroom, kitchen, and water-heater closet. Additionally, a valve that shuts the water off to a home after 1 min. of unrestricted flow.

Steve

[QUOTE=Dr B(OH);884226]As you know, I’m not officially a landlord. I’m a Lonnie Dealer with low flying buyers.

As far as landlord friendly goes, I would like to point out the downside of laminating floors. I have had three homes’ laminate damaged by water. So if you are not buying the water-resistant kind of laminate that Tony talks about, beware.

Most recently, I repo’d a home after the park reported water coming out the front of it (they shut the water off). Apparently my buyer left quietly 25 days prior and let the pipes freeze. The kitchen faucet blew off in the thaw causing water to fountain onto the living room and kitchen floors. It caused swelling of the edges of about 40% of the laminate, the water was also trapped between the laminate and the subfloor causing part of the subfloor to collapse. There was no way for it to dry out. If I had water-resistant laminate, I could have pulled it up, repaired the subfloor and moved on. I have yet to find water-resistant laminate in Cincinnati.

I’m thinking a truly landlord-friendly installation would be a drain in the floor of each bathroom, kitchen, and water-heater closet. Additionally, a valve that shuts the water off to a home after 1 min. of unrestricted flow.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I don’t see this is a downside at all.

A faucet running water onto any floor will destroy the subfloor. Tearing up old carpet and soaked padding to repair the subfloor would most likely required some if not all replacement as well.

There will be exceptions like this but for the most part the laminate will hold up long term. Carpet, we know for sure, will not. Spend money once or at least, less often is my motto.

I am using the cheap Lowe’s laminate in some of the homes we are working on near Hickory. This is a test for me to see how well it holds up. It is much, much thinner than the stuff I am used to using which does concern me. But again, if I have to replace it less often the carpet I still feel better. I believe that even then it may be a room or two and not the entire home.

Personally I like installing laminate. Personally, I hate wrestling urine soaked carpet and padding out, kilzing the subfloor and busting my back bringing new carpet in… all the while I am admitting I will have to do it again in less than 36 months at best.

To each their own but laminate is my go to flooring.

Tony