This is Long, but worth Keeping......... - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 21, 2000 at 10:32:49:

nt.

This is Long, but worth Keeping… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on March 21, 2000 at 03:11:59:

Long, but worth keeping??.

Today there were three posts that inspired me to decide to do this post.

1. A post by Anon’s Wife, about her husbands dream.
  2. A post by JohnBoy, in answer to Anon’s Wife about her husbands dream.
  3. A post by tang-O-rang about his son.

I hope you enjoy it, and get as much out of it as I do???.

The ORIGINAL , EVERYBODY’S FREE( TO WEAR SUNCREEN).

Kurt Vonnegut’s commencement address at MIT

(see note below)

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97:

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.
The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists,
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my
own meandering experience.

I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will
not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they’ve
faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you’ll look back at photos of
yourself and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much
possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.

You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don’t worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is
as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m.
on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don’t put up with
people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead,
sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only
with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you
succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters.

Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting
40-year-olds I know still don’t.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You’ll miss them when
they’re gone.

Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll have children,
maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the
funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do,
don’t congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either.
Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else’s.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don’t be afraid of it or of
what other people think of it. It’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever
own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don’t follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they’ll be gone for
good.

Be nice to your siblings. They’re your best link to your past and the
people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you
should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and
lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people
who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will
philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you’ll fantasize
that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble, and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust
fund. Maybe you’ll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know
when either one might run out.

Don’t mess too much with your hair or by the time you’re 40 it will
look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Everybody’s free to make money in real estate :

Posted by Mark-NC on September 15, 1999 at 03:05:57:

There is a popular song called “everybody is free to wear sunscreen”. This is a spoof of it , I put this together for fun. It is a culmination of information from the song and many of the informative posts from all of you and my own experiences. It goes.

Every body is Free to make money in real estate (the lyrics)

If I could offer you only one financial tip for the future, real estate investing would be it. The long term financial benefits of real estate investing has been proven by many a successful investor. Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own experiences and other noted real estate professionals who have shared their information to the public.

I will dispense this information now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your life. Be aware of the financial rewards you can obtain. Oh, never mind. You will probably not understand the financial rewards until it is too late. But trust me, in 20 years, you’ll look back at your life and recall all the financial opportunities you passed up in real estate and watched others prosper instead. You may recall the way you couldn’t grasp what the possibilities were before you and did nothing. You are not alone, and as long as you are still alive it’s never too late too learn and its not as hard as you imagine.

Don’t worry about your financial future. Or worry, if you wish, but know that worrying is a self defeating emotion, commonly known as fear. Face your fears, make a plan and stick to it. The real troubles or worries in life are apt to come to you in uncontrollable situations that may be unforeseen, these should be your only worries not your finances. Take control of your financial future and know that you will be prepared.

Read one new thing everyday about real estate investing, even if you don’t understand it, you will later.

Focus.

Learn how to put on your poker face, even if you’ve never played poker before.

Obtain as much information as you can about the different ways to make money in real estate before you buy any real estate programs. Don’t get wrapped up in the hype of a program that may not fit your needs or desires.
Look at where you are in life right now. Decide what strategy best fits your situation, determine if you are going to use, your money, someone else’s money or no money at all. Decide what calculated risks you are willing or not willing to take before you try any real estate ventures.

Get up early and work late.

Once you have determined what real estate investment or program works best for you, learn it inside and out, challenge yourself, master it, develop your skills, talents, Knowledge and ability so you can become effective enough to make it work and don’t be distracted by other programs or ideas until you have. Once you have it mastered, then move on to the next one.

Learn the art of questioning without offending. Be their friend and solve their problems.

Learn the art of persuading with out actually sounding like you are.

Don’t feel intimidated if you are having a hard time comprehending real estate terminology. There is a lot to learn, it takes time, make it easier by asking questions, surround yourself with experienced professionals and positive people in the field, it will rub off.

Think out of the box.

Find someone that doesn’t want a house any more, then find someone who doesn’t have one but wishes they did.

Buy a fax machine, you will need it.

Whether you are buying or selling, your always selling, learn the skills.

Maybe you’ll buy rental property, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll make money on rehabs maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll lose money in real estate, maybe you won’t. Whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself too much.

Your choices are half chance. your decisions for these choices are your responsibility, whether they are good or bad there is an education in each experience that will make you a smarter investor.

Negotiate.

Don’t confuse Activity with accomplishment.

Enjoy your mind, use it, challenge it. Don’t be afraid of what other people think of your ideas or accomplishments. Shallow minds will try to pull you down to keep you from succeeding. Your mind is the command center of your life. It is said that we only use a fraction of our brain power, tap into this unused part and let it take you where you want to be. Avoid negative people and their unwillingness to learn new ideas.

Read the real estate section in the news paper, drive around your local neighborhood, talk to the people in the area that you prefer to do real estate transactions with, advertise, put up signs, pass out cards, send out direct mail, talk to Realtors. Make it known that you are in the game.

Learn how to make a Realtor under stand what you want without them saying, you can’t do that.

Accept certain inalienable truths about real estate. The interest rates will go up and down. certain areas will be a sellers market and certain areas will be a buyers market, but because of the uncertainty of some economic situations, it is subject to change before you realize it. You never know when any of these type of conditions will effect you. Have an exit plan.
Set your long term goals, keep up the drive and persistence to get there. Put in the time, experience the frustrations. Go through the difficulties to make yourself under stand how it works. When channeled correctly it is the beginning point of success.

Use the right weasel clauses in all your offers.

Make low offers on several properties in good neighborhoods. Don’t waste your time on homes in bad neighborhoods. The price may be right, but one way or another it will cost you more in the long run.

Don’t spend the money before the deal closes.

And remember, everybody’s free to make money in real estate.

Re: This is Long, but worth Keeping… - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on March 22, 2000 at 07:16:59:

Ed,
I allways enjoyed that original version of “everyones free to wear sun screen”. The one I put together “everybodys free to make money in real estate” I enjoyed seeing that again I lost my original when my computer crashed. Many of people on this Board with their wealth of knowledge and willing to share it was my inspiration and information for writing that, this board is a tremendous form of education and sometimes entertainment.

Mark