Thought for the day.... - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Charles Steed on January 28, 2001 at 13:25:24:

Great post Ed. Anyone who sticks with REI or any productive endeavor for that matter,
sooner or later learns that attitude is 99% of the whole game. More years ago than I care
to acknowledge, I attended a very expensive ($5000) four day seminar put on by Robert
Allen. I was ready to learn - completely pumped. I?d taken the time to digest all of the
materials they?d sent prior to the event.

For the first day and a half, the program was composed entirely of inspirational and
motivational strategies. Ideas to get you in the proper mindset for learning, for being
successful. I can?t tell you how angry I was. I remember repeating many times, ?I didn?t
come hear to learn this #$%&??! airy fairy stuff, I came to learn about real estate
investing. I was steamed.

It took a few years as an investor and a human being to realize that EVERYTHING is
attitude. First, there aren?t any new real estate investing strategies. There are sometimes
new twists on age-old techniques. There are teachers who, through their dynamic
personalities and teaching styles, make the methods interesting. But there aren?t many
techniques out there that weren?t in use 100 years ago. What I?m saying here is, the
mechanics of investing are relatively easy to absorb. So why aren?t more people
successful at this? Attitude.

In this business one has to have an extremely open mind - we need to think way outside
the box. Unfortunately, they don?t teach that in school. We also need to learn to face
rejection. Most sellers won?t be able to give us what we need to make this work. So we
develop methods for screening deals with potential from those without it. We need to
maintain an attitude of success while success often ain?t happening for us. What keeps us
going through these challenges? Attitude. Faith. Resources like this board and the
supportive people taking the time to share here.

What I learned long ago, was, it?s attitude that makes this happen. Of course, investment
strategies are important, but I truly believe they?re secondary to the ?mindset to achieve.?
I often think back to that first seminar and how much I missed because of my small
thinking. Oh well, live and learn.

Thought for the day… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on January 28, 2001 at 12:13:35:

Today’s “Thought for the day” is about ATTITUDE. Now I’ve got a lot of different ways, and clichés, to express the importance of our
attitudes in deal making. I feel an attitude is so important, that it can become contagious when doing a deal, and can actually create karma.
The reason I feel this way, is because if you approach a task with a positive attitude, you look for a way for it to happen. On the other hand if
you approach that same task with a negative attitude, you find your self accepting what ever happens. Here is a little fun story to express my
point.

Subject: Positive Attitude

A New York woman was at her East Side hairdresser’s getting her hair styled prior to a trip to Rome with her boyfriend. She mentioned the
trip to the hairdresser, who responded, "Rome? Why would anyone want to go there? It’s crowded & dirty and full of Italians. You’re crazy to
go to Rome.

“So, how are you getting there?”

“We’re taking Continental,” was the reply. “We got a great rate!”

“Continental?” exclaimed the hairdresser. "That’s a terrible airline. Their planes are old, their flight attendants are ugly, and they’re always
late.

So, where are you staying in Rome?"

“We’ll be at this exclusive little place over on Rome’s left bank called Teste.”

"Don’t go any further. I know that place. Everybody thinks its gonna be something special and exclusive, but it’s really a dump. The worst
hotel in the city! The rooms are small, the service is surly and they’re overpriced.

“So, whatcha doing when you get there?”

“We’re going to go to see the Vatican and we hope to see the Pope.”

“That’s rich,” laughed the hairdresser. “You and a million other people trying to see him. He’ll look the size of an ant. Boy, good luck on this
lousy trip of yours. You’re going to need it.”

A month later, the woman again came in for a hairdo. The hairdresser asked her about her trip to Rome. “It was wonderful,” explained the
woman, “not only were we on time in one of Continental’s brand new planes, but it was overbooked and they bumped us up to first class. The
food and wine were wonderful, and I had a handsome 28 year old steward who waited on me hand and foot. And the hotel–it was great!
They’d just finished a $5 million remodeling job and now it’s just a jewel, finest hotel in the city. They, too, were overbooked, so they
apologized and gave us their owner’s suite at no extra charge!”

“Well,” muttered the hairdresser, “I know you didn’t get to see the Pope.”

“Actually, we were quite lucky, for as we toured the Vatican, a Swiss Guard tapped me on the shoulder and explained that the Pope likes to
personally meet some of the visitors, and if I’d be so kind as to step into his private room and wait, the Pope would personally greet me.” Sure
enough, five minutes later, the Pope walked through the door and shook my hand! I knelt down and he spoke a few words to me."

“Really?” asked the hairdresser. “What’d he say?”

He said, "Where’d you get the terrible hairdo?

Courtesy Norma Miller, College Station, TX

Ed Garcia

It’s all about Attitude - Posted by Rick(CA)

Posted by Rick(CA) on January 28, 2001 at 21:41:22:

Ed,

I remember that story. It’s still funny and applicable. I think “How many of us know people around us like that stylist”?

If I may, I too have a story about attitude. I learned it early on in my entreprenuerial career. I think it helps to reflect on when anyone here is thinking you can’t do it. Or there’s too much competition. Or there aren’t any motivated sellers out there. Enjoy!

Two shoe salesman from competing companies in the early 1900’s were told they were going to the continent of Africa to open up a new market for their respective companies. They were to go with a few samples, and while there drumming up business, a steamer would be dispatched with an entire inventory to deliver on the orders.

The first salesman got off the plane, looked around and immediately telegraphed this company.

“Turn back the shipment! There is NO market here. NOBODY wears shoes!”

The second salesman got off the plane and looked around and immediately telegraphed his office.

"Double the shipment immediately! TONS of potential business here! NOBODY WEARS SHOES!!!