Time Out - Posted by HK

Posted by Lor on January 29, 2002 at 19:09:25:

“What does anyone think of this course of action?”

I bet there are all kinds of ways to postpone starting your real estate investment career but you’ve only listed one. Yes, I’m being facetious.

You have to get out there and practice what you are learning. Even if you have 30 deals in a row turned down, think of all that you will learn by going through the process of making an offer. Plus think of how the profit on a couple of deals will stabilize your debt situation.

Time Out - Posted by HK

Posted by HK on January 29, 2002 at 18:53:44:

Hello anyone out there!? I have just left my army basic training and AIT. I have been gone for six months now and have been home for a month and a half. I am 20. It is January 29 2002. I am writing because I have decided to slow my persut in the purchase of real estate in order to stabilize my debt situation. I have landed a entry level job and will be making enough to cover my financial responsibilities. I have been studying real estate for like a year now and am taking college online courses to graduate early, and further learn about economics and finances. I have no intention of working for someone else for very long. Just long enough to start from ground zero instead of ground negative zero. Actually I have read every single how to article and success story on this site. I have bought carlton sheets and ron legrand courses. But I think that it would be better to do it like this. Waiting a little while like six months while continuing studying real estate and looking for opportunities. I am a little discouraged about the lack of opportunities in my area but dont want to give up my pursiute of financial freedom. What does anyone think of this course of action?

Re: Time Out - Posted by Joe M.

Posted by Joe M. on January 30, 2002 at 18:01:17:

HK, what do you mean exactly by
“I am a little discouraged about the lack of opportunities in my area”
Are you living in A small town?

Re: Time Out - Posted by John Zigenis

Posted by John Zigenis on January 29, 2002 at 21:31:26:

HK, sounds like you’re saying your plan is to keep studying real estate and look for opportunities. If an opportunity comes along you will pursue it won’t you? So you are not really putting things on hold. I didn’t really learn how to be an investor until I went out there and tried to buy houses. I learned more in the three months of making offers than I did with all the courses and classes I took. HZ

Re: Time Out - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on January 29, 2002 at 19:28:47:

im doing the same thing but im also working with an invester who is also an agent, looking for a house to fix up. at leat you are keeping a level head and not freating more trouble for yourself.

Re: Time Out - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on January 29, 2002 at 19:21:56:

I think it’s great! It shows me that you have your
head securely fastened to your neck. You don’t have
to jump right in. If you did, you could do it but,
taking your time is ALWAYS a good thing. Get the
understanding, write yourself a business plan (of
attack). Join the local club. Don’t waste peoples
time if you know you’re not ready. Learn your market
and learn your laws. I think with the attitude you
have now, when you decide to get started you will
be a lot more successful than the average newbie.

Good Luck Soldier,

GregNY (veteran)