Time Share??? - Posted by Robert

Posted by David on March 26, 2000 at 20:02:40:

1. the developer, who sold them in the first place for 4 to 5 times what the whole unit would sell for.

2. anyone buying a resale at an extremely good price. there are areas where discounted time shares can sell, but there are other areas where you can’t literally give them away.

somebody i know has been trying to sell one unit share for 8 years. others just abandon them for the back taxes, which might be a good buy play.
hth
David

Time Share??? - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on March 25, 2000 at 16:01:57:

Ok, any ideas on how I go about marketing a timeshare at a 5 star resort on Lake Tahoe that I can assume the payments on with no money down…the seller just wants someone to take over the payments or buy it for the balance which is less than half what he originally paid for it…I know to find the FMV (resale value) and go from there…but apparently listing it on MLS with Century 21 has not worked for him and I want it sold before I buy it…any suggestions?

Bad investment just made me 2K… - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on March 26, 2000 at 20:28:13:

Followup…Got a buyer for the timeshare this weekend and will net 2K from the deal when it closes…no money down and win/win for everybody…Where there is a will there is a way…

Time Share are not good investements… - Posted by David

Posted by David on March 26, 2000 at 16:57:11:

1. They typically sell at about 20% of original price.
  2. They are not a good investment because the market is saturated, the resale prices are low, like 20%, and there are a lot more sellers than buyers.
  3. All that said if you can buy one cheap, for your own use and expect NEVER to get your money back, go ahead and enjoy… but that’s not investing, that’s consuming!
    David

Re: Time Share??? - Posted by Bill (OH)

Posted by Bill (OH) on March 26, 2000 at 06:31:40:

Pass on the timeshare as an investment. They just don’t have much resale potential. If you want to find sites to market them at—put in ‘timeshares’ in your search engine. ERA, Prudential, Coldwell Banker and a number of others have divisions for these sales.

Re: Time Share??? - Posted by GIO

Posted by GIO on March 25, 2000 at 17:26:19:

HOWBOUT A TRAVEL AGENCY OR THE CH. OF COMM FOR THAT LOC’N?

Re: Time Share are not good investements… - Posted by Jack Beam

Posted by Jack Beam on March 26, 2000 at 17:25:57:

Time Shares may not be a very good investment but there are a lot of people making a ton of money buying and selling them.

Re: Time Share??? - Posted by T Jent

Posted by T Jent on March 26, 2000 at 03:02:04:

I just know that timeshares in and of themselves are considered poor investments. If you can find someone to buy it for more than you will pay to take it over for, then I suppose it is by definition a good investment. But this may be difficult. There is very limited resale market for them, and it is not unusual for people to sell them at a small fraction of the original price just to unload them. I would not purshase it unless you have a definite buyer lined up. If the owner already tried through the MLS, this may tell you something though.