Title Abstract/Update Information - Posted by John

Posted by KevinMiami on February 26, 1999 at 12:08:02:

I’m a newbie and I’ve heard that it’s possible to get title information via the internet, but I can’t seem to find it. What are the web sites that you use to do those “rough title searches”.

Title Abstract/Update Information - Posted by John

Posted by John on February 25, 1999 at 10:35:04:

Looking for information on the best way to conduct the title abstract, or abstract up-date. I currently flip properties and the title company asvises me that it could take as long as 2-3 months for this work.

Could I conduct this title search myself and then have the property insured? or is this the current owners responsability to have this title work done?

Where should I start my research?

Thanks for any input…

John

Re: Title Abstract/Update Information - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on February 25, 1999 at 23:49:46:

John,
I agree with Rob. It’s time to find another title company! Even if the abstract is lost and needs to be completely rebuilt, which is a worse case scenario, the max time should be 10-14 days.
Abstract updates should take an average of 3-10 days.
Every title company will have their own people or title examiners research the title and then write a title policy. They won’t be interested in whether or not you researched it or not. However, you can save yourself some time later down the road if you know how to quickly do a title search yourself.
The owner of the property should know where the abstract is located. If they don’t at least know where they closed the last transaction on the property, then find the last activity(usually a mortgage) on the property in the county records and it will have evidence of the title company where the deal was closed.

Scott

Re: Title Abstract/Update Information - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 25, 1999 at 21:50:26:

Your title company is a loser. The company I work for can get out a title update in 24-48 hours. I do rough title searches for my own investments in less than 10 minutes via internet hookup to the courthouse records. Find someone else.