TITLE COMPANY PROBLEMS - PLEASE HELP - Posted by Erin (Detroit)

Posted by John Merchant,JD on July 02, 2002 at 08:49:56:

Erin, when I run into these title company glitches, I get on the phone, or in the face of the obstructor individual…so you need to determine WHO it is who’s being obstructive, get with them, and ask them to show you how to cure the obstruction. Generally I’ve found they want to help and I think you’ll find the same thing, but you must find the decision maker there.

If the only hold up is the City’s form, then you should get a copy, have it signed by the seller/buyer, whoever (I forget your position in the deal)and get it to the title company.

TITLE COMPANY PROBLEMS - PLEASE HELP - Posted by Erin (Detroit)

Posted by Erin (Detroit) on July 02, 2002 at 08:03:56:

I am working on closing a house in a questionable part of town that is getting better but not there yet. The city offices are only there part time and when they ARE there, they have been less then helpful on returning calls. I am 1 day from closing and the title company is saying that they cannot close because they do not have a city waver for an “as-is” sale. I was told be several other individuals (2 title companies and my broker) that I can use a “hold harmless” letter that should satisfy the city requirement, assuming the lender agrees. The lender does not have a problem, but because it was a FSBO, the title company is telling me they cannot do it. Is there anything I can do (aside from change companies which will delay closing) as I have already paid to have the title work done? Any suggestions?