Title Insurance for Tax Deed Properties - Posted by Warner(ATL)

Posted by Warner(ATL on June 12, 2000 at 06:21:51:

Ben,

Thanks for the response. I was hoping you would respond since I see you do this quite frequently up there in NJ. You pointed to my main concern in the need to verify that all parties were properly served. Does the title company ask the seller to verify with paperwork that all parties with an interest in the property were properly served??? Is there any other way this verification is done?

Thanx Again,
Warner

Title Insurance for Tax Deed Properties - Posted by Warner(ATL)

Posted by Warner(ATL) on June 11, 2000 at 19:42:28:

I am working on purchasing property from a seller who recently has obtained a property via tax deed. I am curious whether I am going to have a problem obtaining title Insurance for this property. I have heard of this being a major problem with these type of properties in the past, and was curious if any one had had experience with this.

Thanx,
Warner

Re: Title Insurance for Tax Deed Properties - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on June 12, 2000 at 17:38:35:

I am in the process of finishing a quiet title action for a property which I recently obtained via a tax deed. You may not have to in your State, I havent the slighted idea what the laws are there. Ask the Title company.

as they say mileage may vary… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on June 12, 2000 at 05:08:02:

it depends on your state and their procedures. Some title companies will insure titles and others will not without either a quit claim deed or a Quiet Title Action. An older more seasoned tax deed may be less of a problem, particularily if your state statue of limitations has run.

Re: Title Insurance for Tax Deed Properties - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on June 11, 2000 at 23:00:10:

I have taken title to property through tax foreclosure and had no problem getting title insurance. I had to
procure a Certificate of Regularity from an abstract company which demonstrates that all parties to the action had been properly joined and served and that no one in the 20 year chain of title had been left out. That was it. Ben