title issue involving location of charity - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on March 31, 2006 at 20:57:32:

Bill,

Thanks for your response. My concern about Canada was because the charity was specifically named as being in the USA on the title.

Anne

title issue involving location of charity - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on March 30, 2006 at 19:50:34:

A lot that I want to buy was willed to two sisters in 1963. The QCD from the executor says the lot is for the use of the sisters during their lifetime, but…

“after the death of each of them, see that the house is returned to the unwed mothers, known as the XXX Charity.”

At the top of the QCD, the Grantees are the two sisters and “the XXX Charity of the United States of America.”

Here’s the weird part: the charity actually still exists, but it’s in Canada. Would this disqualify the charity from being able to inherit?

And, there is no “house” anymore. It’s a vacant lot with lots of unpaid taxes and a demolition lien. Would the fact that no house exists have any bearing?

Obviously I’ll approach my attorney, just thought I’d throw this out for general ideas and interest.

Thanks,

Anne

PS- the two sisters died in the 1970s (in their nineties- only two heirs between them) AND this is in GA.

Re: title issue involving location of charity - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on March 31, 2006 at 20:53:23:

Hi Anne:

Do not know about the other parts of your post but it stands to reason that the charity being in Canada would be of no significane…we sell land to the Saudis, the Japanese, the Israelis, Canadians, etc…so I do not think the location of the charity will be an issue from that standpoint.

If is has lots of unpaid taxes, I’d try and go for it at a tax sale.

Good Luck,
Bill H