To all the John Chiappettas's out there, and I lump myself in that group... - Posted by Perry IL

Posted by Perry IL on April 04, 2000 at 24:09:49:

OK here goes.

I was out delivering morning newspapers today (3AM-5AM) and I came across the following text on a poster (at our local college bookstore) created by a person named Sark, and published by Celestial Arts.

• How To Be An Artist *

stay loose.

learn to watch snails.

plant impossible gardens.

invite someone dangerous to tea.

make little signs that say yes! and post them all over your house.

make friends with freedom & uncertainty.

look forward to dreams.

cry during movies.

swing as high as you can on a swingset, by moonlight.

cultivate moods.

refuse to “be responsible.”

do it for love.

take lots of naps.

give money away.

do it now.

the money will follow.

believe in magic.

laugh a lot.

celebrate every gorgeous moment.

take moonbaths.

have wild imaginings, transformative dreams, and perfect calm.

draw on the walls.

read everyday.

imagine yourself magic.

giggle with children.

listen to old people.

open up.

dive in.

be free.

bless yourself.

drive away fear.

play with everything.

entertain your inner child.

you are innocent.

build a fort with blankets.

get wet.

hug trees.

write love letters.

I suppose I am attempting to convey a sense of proportionality or perspective to one’s trials and tribulations.

Last night a woman appeared on TV (she had endured more grief than 100 people should have to endure) and was asked to speak to the high school kids at Columbine high school.

It seems she was captured by the Nazis’s at age 15 and was force marched to a concentration camp with 2,000 other unfortunate souls. Only 120 survived the march, and 30 died immediately upon arrival at the camp. She did not have a bath for 3 years, and at the ripe old age of 18 weighed 68 lbs. and had a head full of gray hair. She was the only surviving member of her family.

As she attempted to put into as few of words as possible, her thoughts, she reached this conclusion: “What MUST I do in my life ?”

A powerful question from a person that has truly thought about the limited amount of time available to us, and how precious the gift of life is, as we spin about on this big blue ball we call home.

All warm and fuzzy from Central Illinois, Perry IL.