To all you realtors out there - Posted by DB

Posted by John Adair on December 28, 2000 at 14:47:57:

DB,

Yes, being a Realtor can be worth your time and effort AND it can be financially rewarding. It does however require many hours for one to be successful. I’ve been a Realtor for 4 years and have had great success selling in a city/area with population of over 1 million.

On the side, I buy 4-5 houses per year and figure that in nine years, when I’m 40, I can retire with a portfolio of over 50 houses all free and clear. Perhaps I’d be better off if my first priority was investing, but I live well off my commissions, and every penny I make on my properties, is paying off my 15 year notes in 4-7 years :slight_smile:

Good Luck!

John

To all you realtors out there - Posted by DB

Posted by DB on December 28, 2000 at 24:20:44:

I know this question has been asked a million times in various ways on here but I’m considering getting my license and sell RE while continuing to build up my investment properties. My question is this: Is it worth the time and effort to do that (can you make a decent living at it), and would the experience help on the investing side. I live in a small town of 20,000. I’m just having a hard time finding motivated sellers and decent properties and my job is boring me to death. All I think about is RE. Thanks for any and all input.

Re: To all you realtors out there - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on December 28, 2000 at 21:25:43:

John’s approach is working for him. For most without much or any of a RE background I’d say put your time in on learning creative RE. Both have a learning curve and to try to learn both at the same time, unless you are a super learner and have LOTS of time to do, I’d say forget it (real estate agent). Either expand the area you are searching or try better/differnet approaches for finding motivated sellers.

Sounds like John is buying the tradiditonal way, with a mortgage. If you want to do CREATIVE RE it’s just not necessary or a priority to get a license in my opinion.