To use an attorney or title company in the NYC&westchester county area??? - Posted by Doe

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on March 06, 2000 at 15:38:07:

Since NY requires that real estate closings be done by an attorney or attorney-owned title company, your best bet is to continue interviewing attorneys until you find one with whom you can work.

As you’ve discovered, most attorneys will have no concept of what you’re trying to do. You might want to try to find a fairly new graduate, who is more willing to learn than perhaps some of the more entrenched folks. A good screening question to ask is whether they personally have any RE investing experience.

Don’t be surprised though, if you have to walk them step by step through what you want to accomplish, at least the first time, since very few of them have any real knowledge of creative REI.

Brian (NY)

To use an attorney or title company in the NYC&westchester county area??? - Posted by Doe

Posted by Doe on March 06, 2000 at 09:14:23:

Greetings everyone,

I just finished reading LeGrand’s wholesale/retail module
(very good I might add)

My question is…
whether to line up an attorney/title company b/f I do any deals.

I will be wholesaling in the NYC & westchester county area.
Do I use an attorney or title company?

Are there any resources I can use to get the attorney/title company I want.

OK, so far I screened 1 attorney. HE TOTALLY was not familiar w/ what I wanted to do…

So, it leaves me hopeless in finding a GOOD attorney/title company to close quick and is familiar with “creative real estate” solutions like lease options, wholesaling etc…

I would truly appreciate any advice. Even a reccomendation of an attorney/title company they have used in the past.

thanx to all

Re: To use an attorney or title company in the NYC&westchester county area??? - Posted by GIO

Posted by GIO on March 07, 2000 at 19:59:56:

whats up Doe - i buy properties cash and close quickly on anything near nyc incl. westch. and L.I. -
re: atty’s I can recommend mine, he’s open and flexible to any creativeness but sometimes he’s a little too busy ( he’s also in L.I.) which I would not recommend if your in Westch. since this atty should become your friend and closeness can be important. i suggest looking at continueing ed. programs and see if any of the courses are taught by an atty - attend the course and pick his brain and see his methods - i met sev’l and though i have not used them they appeared willing to be creative (again they were not in Westch) this atty will ofcourse be able to refer you to a good title co. - get to know people at the county recorder office and pay them about $20 for each tax/lien search- the ultimate buyer will of couse have to do his own title search - i wont take other peoples title - almost got stiffed 2x “BIG TIME” - be careful - good luck - lets meet and lets both make some money - i live in queens but do bsns anywhere i can