Too Much Garbage! - Posted by Diane

Posted by Dirk Roach on January 07, 1999 at 04:56:17:

Hi Doris,
You know a year ago before I had discovered the wonderful world of Real Estate Investing, I admit it I did some garbage picking, and you know what I made some pretty good money at it. In fact i got somewhat spoiled. I actually remember several times when I would say to myself, you know think I’ll get TV tonight, or VCR, or maybe a stereo for my bathroom, anything really. And I would go out and hour or so later I would have it for FREE. Pretty much amazed all of my friends too, but it wasn’t long before they had things (for a small fee of course) too.
It actually got to a point where I had routes and such down on a nightly basis. I then secured a location (some friends of my parents who had a big field next to a very heavily traveled highway) It was about two hours away out in a rural bedroom community from the suburban area in which I lived (metro Detroit). What I (and my finance Jeanne) would do, is go up for the weekend and barrow my parents camper and campout. We would sell the weeks booty for almost 100% profit. I mean we might have a little time invested in clean-up or rewiring a lamp or something, but most often we really didn’t. Now we were selling color TV’s for anywhere between $10 and $35 dollars,(which we guaranteed, we made sure that they worked). The bigger dollar items which we sold were washers and dryers, sofa’s, a fax machine one time, things of that nature.
But we had a blast doing it. And in that market what we were charging was what it would bear.
And we saved money, because we were engaged in an activity where we were bring money into our pockets as opposed of having it go out.
It was a fun spring and summer venture.

Dirk

Too Much Garbage! - Posted by Diane

Posted by Diane on January 05, 1999 at 09:17:31:

I have a 4 yard debris box(only household trash) that is constantly overflowing with all sorts of items from furniture to tires, etc. Apparently the neighbors are also contributing to this nuisance. Any suggestions to control this problem?

Re: Too Much Garbage! - Posted by Doris - Va.

Posted by Doris - Va. on January 05, 1999 at 20:42:20:

Garbage NO but FURNITURE!!! My old flea market and antiques market days make me flare up at that remark. I have known people to throw perfectly good used furniture and even actual antique items into dumpsters. You may be missing a treasure or two there.

But seriously - an enclosure may be the only solution. You would have to give out keys to your tenants tho and that may be a problem by itself.

Sorry I am not more help to you. Doris - Va.

Re: Too Much Garbage! - Posted by Irwin

Posted by Irwin on January 05, 1999 at 19:55:07:

I see some commercial establishments put their dumpsters inside enclosures and padlock them. That’s the only way I can think of to keep out unwanted
dumping.