top dolar repairs - Posted by Clay

Posted by Garrison on December 21, 2000 at 12:42:04:

JoeKaiser,

I look forward to ordering two or three of your courses, and you may cover this question in one of them, but I will ask now…what colors and brand names of carpet and paint have you found in your experience to be the most universally acceptable to that renter or buyer when they say, “Wow!”?

~Garrison

top dolar repairs - Posted by Clay

Posted by Clay on December 17, 2000 at 20:11:28:

What repairs bring the most return in rental income?

Re: top dolar repairs - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on December 18, 2000 at 17:14:27:

Carpet, paint, then other flooring (kitche, baths, entry), then updating kitchen and baths.

Re: top dolar repairs - Posted by Ben (FL)

Posted by Ben (FL) on December 18, 2000 at 13:00:21:

I agree with the other two. We bought a 4-plex from these guys that owned another 4 biuldings on the same street. They were starting to make too much money with their mini-storage warehouses and managing the rentals was getting to be a bother for them. Anyway, they always kept fresh paint and relatively new carpet in their units. We benefitted from their tremendous upkeep. Every vacancy we have, people come in, look around and go, “Wow!” and then mention how al lthe other places down the street (except for the ones these guys still own) smell, or are dirty.
When they walk in, see new or freshly cleaned carpet and new paint and go “Wow!” you got 'em.

Repairs - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on December 17, 2000 at 20:24:56:

I’d say as a general class “cosmetics” are way ahead of whatever is next.

If I had to pick one I’d pick paint.

Of course, there are other things…like plumbing…that don’t necessarily bring the return in the sense that I think you mean it…but they darn sure save alot of money down the road in maintenance calls.

JPiper

Carpet and paint . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on December 17, 2000 at 23:22:00:

. . . is what generates the most bang for the buck, with landscaping a not too close third.

I’ll happily do carpet and paint all day long, knowing it’s money well spent.

Joe