Trampoline on rental property? - Posted by Patrick

Posted by Mark (WV) on March 02, 2001 at 17:59:39:

I wonder if they would care if you put a for sale sign on their car ? LOL
Mark

Trampoline on rental property? - Posted by Patrick

Posted by Patrick on March 02, 2001 at 11:45:22:

If a Tenant chooses to put a trampoline on a rental property and a child and/or person(s) gets injured on it, can the Owner/Landlord of the property be held liable if they had no knowledge of the trampoline? Can the Tenant try to sue the Landlord? I don’t know for what, but you know how some people can be.

Let me tell you how weird this can get - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on March 02, 2001 at 20:17:00:

I have a long term tenant,(12 years). Older woman who pays on time, keeps the place decent, no problem except she drinks excessivly. Anyway, her grandson gets out of jail and, without our knowledge, she lets him stay with her. He drinks. He, his best friend, and the woman are drinking one day, the grandson is playing with a Mac 10 semi auto pistol. He accidently shoots his best friend through the left testical and left cheek of his buttocks. He is arrested and sent back to jail. The woman calls and apologizes, the best friend goes to the hospital and then sues me. My insurance company settles for 5 grand stating its cheaper to pay then defend. Now you are probably thinking this happened in a slum in the inner city. I live, work and own property in an Ohio town of 36,000 and this is in a middle class area across from a park and city pool. Just shows you it can happen to anyone, anywhere. DanT

Re: Trampoline on rental property? - Posted by Ben (FL)

Posted by Ben (FL) on March 02, 2001 at 15:41:50:

I am not an attorney, and even though my wife is, and what follows comes from a case she worked on, it does not necessarily mean anything at all, and you should not take this as legal advice.

There was a tenant in a house that put up a tire swing in the backyard. The landlord told the tenant to take it down. The tenant did not, and a neighbor boy broke his arm and sustained serious internal injuries falling from the fall from the swing. The parents of the boy sued the tenant and the landlord.

I don’t remember who paid what, in the end, but the important part is that the swing was considered an “attractive nuisance.” By not making sure the tenant removed it promptly, the landlord increased their exposure. I assume things like swing sets, pools, and trampolines are all considered attractive nuisances.

Re: Trampoline on rental property? - Posted by Jeffers CT

Posted by Jeffers CT on March 02, 2001 at 15:32:59:

Check with your insurance agent.
I believe It would be considered a liability to the OWNER of the property, should, for instance, a neighborhood kid simply wander in and use it, and get hurt in the process. And you won’t be able to say “I didn’t know it was there”.

Trampolines are BAAAAADD !

Re: Trampoline on rental property? - Posted by Mike(WI)

Posted by Mike(WI) on March 02, 2001 at 12:29:52:

I would not want to take that risk. I have even removed all play equipment that was on property when I bought it, just to be on the safe side.

Mike(WI)

Sounds like a candidate for the Vienna Boys Choir! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 05, 2001 at 10:46:50:

Man! That’s WILD, Dan!

Truly curious… - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on March 02, 2001 at 23:43:48:

Sued you for WHAT?

Brandi_TX

Play Equipment - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 02, 2001 at 14:34:16:

We had tenants ‘remove’ it for us. They SOLD it on us!!!

Kenny was over in their back yard one day. Noticed the swing set/slide were missing. When he asked them what happened to it, they said they SOLD it!!

geez…

But I am in agreement with you. That sort of stuff (swimming pools included) can wind up being a REAL hazard$.

Re: Truly curious… - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on March 03, 2001 at 13:20:25:

Money, something about an unsafe enviroment and alowing dangerous people to reside their. It has been awhile ago so I don’t remember it all. DanT

That’s called… - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on March 02, 2001 at 20:48:44:

…LARCENY! Hope you sent 'em a bill, or took it from their deposit. Sheesh…who’d think you have to chain play equipment to something fixed and immovable?

Brian