Trinity Consulting - tax deeds, liens - Posted by Mark

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 29, 2003 at 19:16:18:

John V–(FL)------------

Ok, I hereby issue my challenge. I think I look more professorial than does Ted Thomas.

I challenge anybody to prove otherwise.

I know he went to a few tax sales when he was starting out. He does not brag about buying himself at tax sales, so I suppose it is possible that he has not been investing that way. Why invest for 300-1000% a year return with tax sales when you can sucker in a roomfull of folks to pay $3K each to hear how to buy tax liens?

Good InvestingRon Starr********

Trinity Consulting - tax deeds, liens - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on July 28, 2003 at 16:23:35:

Does anyone know of this company in Irvine, CA, or had any experience with them? They claim they will teach you the tax deed and tax lien investing business, for quite a hefty fee. You then are a “member” with access to liens and deeds from all over the country. They put together investors and “researchers” who split the profits on any deeds acquired, once the property is sold.

Any input anyone has would be appreciated.

Mark

This Is Ted Thomas… - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 28, 2003 at 23:00:09:

Mark-----------

This is Ted Thomas. Is that enough or do you need more?

Good InvestingRon Starr****

Re: This Is Ted Thomas… - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on July 28, 2003 at 23:37:17:

Ron,

Thanks for the response, but…I don’t know who Ted Thomas is. Guess I need more, if it’s not too much trouble.

Thanks, Mark

More on Ted Thomas - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 29, 2003 at 10:08:33:

Mark--------------

Ted Thomas is a very accomplished salesperson. In the 1980s he sold limited partnerships for the tax benefits to the limited partners. When the 1986 tax reform act was passed, it sharply reduced tax benefits of real estate in vesting, especially for limited partnerships. The value of income properties dropped and people stopped being interested in limited partnerhips. Ted declared bankruptcy.

He then read the book John Beck and I wrote on foreclosure i nvesting in CA, where Ted Was. He followed our advice and had a very successful pre-foreclosure program. He wrote a mediocre book on the topoic.

He started to doing seminars with John Beck on foreclosures, charging $5K for a week’s “bootcamp.” They also did some seminars on tax sale investing.

Ted went out on his own and started doing seminars on tax sales and, I believe, foreclosures.

He offers extremely over-priced seminars. The quality of the information is mediocre. But he is such a good marketer that he can rope in a lot of suckers. Err, people who desire to easily get rich quick and they pay a lot of money for his “education.”

He has had an infomercial on TV for the tax sales course he sells. My opinion is that it is liberally laced with lies and distortions.

Tax sales investing is a legitimate arena of operation–I do it myself–but requires some knowledge and skill to do well. Ted Thomas’s website mentions a tax sale investment that I and a partner made. There are some inaccuracies in it. It is true we did make good money with it. However, he seems to make it sound as though I learned from him. Which, of course, is the exact opposite of reality. He bought my small book on tax sales investing in CA early on. So he learned from me and John Beck. I have read somebody who asked him about this and that person claims that Ted said that he, Ted, had taught John Beck about tax sales! What gall.

I’d recommend that nobody pay Ted Thomas his high prices for materials and seminars.

Good Investing*******Ron Starr

Re: More on Ted Thomas - Posted by John V, FL

Posted by John V, FL on July 29, 2003 at 12:53:42:

Ron, have you ever asked Ted how many tax deed deals he’s done over the years and how much money he has actually made doing this. He does have that professorily type middle aged look to him from the couple of times I’ve seen him. Guess that counts for something…lol