Trouble Putting Ad - Posted by Carlos Cortes (NY)

Posted by TD on February 16, 2001 at 22:34:52:

Never give up on your initial inquiry. Call back and speak to another rep. If you still don’t get satisfaction by the 3rd or 4th go around, ask for a supervisor.

BTW - If you see other ads similar to yours in the same newspaper, simply ask them how much it would cost to place such an ad, and then do it.

Trouble Putting Ad - Posted by Carlos Cortes (NY)

Posted by Carlos Cortes (NY) on February 16, 2001 at 20:35:48:

Hi Folks!
Today I called the newspaper to put my first ad. The sale representative told me that they don’t put ad for private investors unless there is a company for them to verify. Looks like they want to know that I’m no a funny. Anybody with this kind of problem before? Incorporate is in my plans but I never realized that you would need it to put a ad in the paper. Maybe because I’m in New York this not surprise me. Wondering if all the mayor newspapers in the area are the same. BTW this is the Newsday paper.

Beside the other ways of advertising (flyer,bandit signs and business cards) how I can reach a bigger group of potencial clients?

Thanks in advance for your response.
See you all in Atlanta!!!

Carlos Cortes
ccortes@ddgn.com

I experienced this also… - Posted by Mrs SD

Posted by Mrs SD on February 21, 2001 at 14:33:19:

…with the NY Daily News. They wouldn’t run my ad at first because I don’t have a storefront. I sent a very heated letter to several editors and they acquiesced the following week.

In addition I had to fill out the stupid form that they give you! But at least I did get my ad to run for several weeks.

I would suggest to you that you state emphatically that storefronts do not make a business legitimate.(As all NYCers are aware, many scam artists set up shop under the guise of various business enterprises, rent office space for a few months, take people’s money and then disappear into thin air. It happens every day of the week here.) By the same token, the lack of office space does not negate the legitimacy of a business endeavor as home-based businesses are now commonplace.
I believe this argument is what got me in.

Be prepared though, the rates are astronomical and the response is sluggish. Of the 8 ads I saw recently there’s only 1 guy who runs his ad on a consistent basis-he’s a broker/investor.

Good luck! You’ll REALLY need it here!!
Mrs SD

Daily News, Too - Posted by J. Clifton

Posted by J. Clifton on February 18, 2001 at 20:34:11:

I ran into the same situation with the NY Daily News years ago, long before I had an LLC and Inc. The classified rep insisted I could not be a private party if I was placing a houses wanted ad, and demanded that I fill out a questionaire detailing all my business financials. When I politely stated they could send the form, but it would be a waste of time because I was not a business, the rep blurted “I’m not interested in debating the subject.” I indicated I wasn’t either, and didn’t place the ad.

Problem is with Newsday - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on February 18, 2001 at 08:14:29:

I placed an ad to rent a house for rent some years back.

Got a call back from Newsday saying that they can’t run the ad because the telephone number is NO GOOD. Told the person I don’t understand it and please have someone call me back on it.

Someone called back - saying the number is actually a public telephone. That blew me away for a moment. When I calmed myself done, I asked the guy if he has anonther phone line he can call out on while I hold on. “Yes” he said.

"Please call 555-1212 an ask for the phone number for “Frank Chin” I said. A few minutes later, the man came back and excitely told me that the phone company gave him my number.

“Of course I said”. Explained to the man that the New York Times never gave me any problems.

Never heard of this. - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on February 17, 2001 at 08:50:15:

This sounds weird to me. BUT, if all else fails, find out how much it will cost to file an assumed name certificate (DBA) with your county. ($15 bucks here) File one and use that name to appease your silly newspaper rep.

Brandi_TX

What did the Ad say? - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on February 16, 2001 at 22:38:45:

?