Trusts, trustees and the US Postal Service - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by dewey on February 21, 2001 at 11:24:01:

Actually, letters addressed to Santa and God are free. No postage is necessary. lol

Trusts, trustees and the US Postal Service - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 20, 2001 at 13:06:20:

I’ve been doing subject-to deals using trusts for a little over a year now. I use a PO box for all my business mail (there are no PMB services in my town). For the trustee’s mailing address, I always have used “Joe Blow, Trustee” at my PO box number. No problems. Until recently. On my last 2 deals, I sent the change of address to the mortgage companies, insurance companies, etc. Well, the mail wasn’t showing up anywhere. Not in my PO box, not to the sellers. Couldn’t figure it out, until I called my post office today and asked where my stuff was going, after a local insurance agent called me and wondered why the mail to the trustee, at my PO box, was returned undeliverable.

Seems the PO decided that unless the trustee’s name appears on the rental card for the PO box, they’re not delivering it to my box.

Just another thing to keep in mind if you’re operating this way.

Brian (NY)

Re: It’s not new - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on February 20, 2001 at 18:38:05:

The requirment is not a new one, at the post office. To understand it you must first put yourself in the place of the postal service. Any mail that they can cause to be returned and remailed will generate double postage ($$$). Not to mention just irrating the public.

The solution that I use, and bear in mind that I live in a small town; is to type the name of anyoue who I want to add on an address lavel. The file folder type that is peel and stick. I then cut away all of the label except the one line with the persons name on it. I go to the post office, and I say hi Jerry could you get out my POB registration card I want to add a new recipients name to it. I then stick the (one liner) label on the card and say thanks Jerry.

Re: Trusts, trustees and the US Postal Service - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 20, 2001 at 14:48:06:

Maybe you can find some business who can be a maildrop. I am sure if you paid them a monthly fee that someone would take you up on this.

It’s garbage like this that makes me think that the post office needs to be privatized. They continue to overstep their bounds.

Re: Trusts, trustees and the US Postal Service - Posted by Doug

Posted by Doug on February 20, 2001 at 14:36:33:

What is a PMB? Is that a “Mailboxes, etc.” type franchise? If so, is this problem solved by using one of these?

I guess I didn’t… - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 20, 2001 at 14:29:10:

…grasp the whole implication of this until I considered it further.

When I take over a property subject to the existing loan, I fill out the change of address form on the payor’s mortgage statement to have the monthly statement come directly to my PO box, instead of to the sellers.

I know this is how it’s commonly done by others. But, with the post office now insisting that all addresees be on record for that box number, I’m not seeing a good solution here, short of adding EVERY ONE of my subject-to sellers to the PO box rental agreement. Just adding the trustee won’t make any difference with the mortgage statements. And thus far, I’ve avoided the need to notify any lenders about the fact that the property has been placed in a trust.

What solution am I overlooking?

Brian (NY)

Yep … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on February 20, 2001 at 16:32:29:

I despise the post office. They’re lazy, expensive and redundant IMHO.

RL

Re: Trusts, trustees and the US Postal Service - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on February 20, 2001 at 15:42:24:

Exactly. And yes – those should take in any mail addressed to your box, if you instruct them to do so.

Re: I guess I didn’t… - Posted by Bryan Ellis

Posted by Bryan Ellis on February 20, 2001 at 15:53:53:

Why not have one “management entity” (trust, corp, whatever) to which ALL of your mail is sent, regardless of the name of the trust/trustee? This doesn’t cause a problem for your ownership of the property via a trust, and mortgage companies are well accustomed to management companies receiving mail on behalf of the home owner.

Also, you can have anything you want delivered even at a post office so long as you use a c/o line in the address.

Re: I guess I didn’t… - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on February 20, 2001 at 15:43:42:

What a pain in the butt.

I wonder if you can indicate on the rental agreement “deliver all mail no matter who the addressee is”??

Yuppers!! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 21, 2001 at 10:58:40:

The lines are EXTRA slow down here (FL).

Nine times outta ten, I walk thru the door and UP goes their ‘CLOSED’ sign – as they waddle off to the water cooler for a break.

Just my $.34 worth (couldn’t resist!)

Re: Yep … - Posted by Dewey

Posted by Dewey on February 20, 2001 at 18:10:21:

I disagree with you about the post office for the following reasons:

First, the post office will deliver a letter anywhere in the US for thirty-four cents. In my opinion, this is a far cry from expensive.

Second, most postal employees want to do a good job for their customers. They don’t intentionally try to make things difficult for the public. They are following the system that is in place to move an unbelievable amount of mail per day to the correct person. Apparently, the system works great.

Third, the post office has always wanted to know who is using the boxes. They don’t want to deliver mail to you that isn’t yours. In other words, if your Aunt Martha takes a stab at your address and misses your PO Box by one digit, there is a good chance you will still receive your mail. The post office will look at the name of the addressee, cross reference it with the rental card, mark out the incorrect address, place the correct address on it, and deliver it to you.

Fourth, people take their mail very serious. Hence, the post office takes it very seriously.

Although I understand the post office has its’ problems, they generally do a good job. Give them a break. They are only human.

Just my .02

Good luck with your problem.

Re: Yep … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on February 20, 2001 at 20:22:08:

OK so apparently you have a family member or a friend who works at the post office. That’s fine. I still despise the post office.

That cheap 34 cent letter keeps climbing all the time too … I wonder why. Talk about mismanagement.

Anyway, I do 95% of my bill paying online and now mail very little and liking it.

RL

Re: Yep … - Posted by Dewey

Posted by Dewey on February 21, 2001 at 08:48:44:

Wow. The post office doesn’t deliver your bills anymore. I am certain they will crumble under the revenue shortfall.

Good luck with your online payments.

Re: Yep … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on February 21, 2001 at 10:34:01:

Actually now that I think about it, 99% of the mail I get is total garbage.

If it weren’t for marketing companies, catalogs, unsolicited junk mail and letters to Santa the post office would be OUT OF BUSINESS! Or if not, mailing a letter would be about $5.00. LOL

RL