Trying to reduce my bill... - Posted by JoeMD

Posted by Suzanne on February 08, 2002 at 17:44:36:

Can you close off the heat ducts to the rooms you don’t want heated? My dad used to do this when I was still living there. I’m not sure how he did it, but it directed heat to the rooms that needed heated. Those rooms were alot warmer than the ones he closed off.

Trying to reduce my bill… - Posted by JoeMD

Posted by JoeMD on February 08, 2002 at 12:56:14:

I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse
all alone and I only use 1 room on the 2nd floor.

There are 3 bedrooms on the 2rd floor
living room and kitchen on 1st floor
and a basement / garage.

If I turn on the heater (all electric heatpump), it would heat up the whole house
and the electricity bill comes out to somewhere in the $100’s…

Is it more efficient to get one of those small heaters and use it just in my bedroom?

Re: Trying to reduce my bill… - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on February 09, 2002 at 13:17:57:

Heat pumps are very efficient, it shouldn’t cost that much unless you keep the thermostat at 90 in the shade.

Put on a comfy sweater and some bunny slippers and turn down the thermostat until it is just warm enough not to be uncomfortable. Once you get used to that temp, turn it down a little more. If you feel chilly and turn up the heat, remember to turn it back down once you are warm. Turn it down to 50 or 60 when you go to work then turn it back up when you get home.

Are all the windows and doors closing properly and making a tight seal? Have you had the heat pump checked or serviced?

If it is a forced air system you can shut off the heat ducts very easily, in rooms you are not using. Lift out the grille from the floor, put aluminum foil on the back, and stick it back into the floor. This blocks off the hot air and makes it go to the other rooms. I think you can buy something at the hardware store but the foil works fine.

If you want to, you can leave the heat turned down and just warm up the one room with an electric heater. I’m not sure how much you will save because electric heaters use a lot of electricity, possibly more than the heat pump. But if you want to try it get a cheap heater, with no blower in it. I find the blower ones make too much noise and keep me awake.

Re: Trying to reduce my bill… - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on February 08, 2002 at 17:57:36:

Yes, but be very careful of small heaters, particularly if you have any pets.