Tub repair

I have a center drain tub that is starting to crack around the drain about 3/8 inch from the drain. Any repair ideas? Thanks

I feel your pain. I’ve never had any luck repairing those successfully. And if it’s a center drain you probably can’t use a standard 59" residential tub.

There are others here who have repaired them but I cannot recall their methods used.

[QUOTE=LARRYNY;882921]I have a center drain tub that is starting to crack around the drain about 3/8 inch from the drain. Any repair ideas? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Mike Scrarbrough’s video details a couple of ways to make tub repairs. He shows the exact products he uses and how he goes about the repair. Support for the tub for cracks like this might be something to focus on. I have heard of folks just using the spray foam (Great Stuff) which expands and might offer some support but I have not yet tried this.

I highly recommend Mike’s videos for this any just about any other mobile home repair you would need to make. I like being able to see the work actually being done. I have never been great at reading about how to make a repair and then confidently doing it myself for the first time. These videos are worth their weight in gold to me.

Tony

Tub Repair

Larry, I have mixed success fixing tub cracks around the drain long term. The drain pipe is rigid and the tub flexes a lot right around the drain. Due to the fact there is no foam support within 6 inches of the drain hole to make room for the drain pipe. “tiger hair” bondo works ok but you have to put a ton on from underneath. And it makes it impossible to ever change the drain. If you have heavier than normal tenants the fix is definitely short term. I usually just change out the tub. $250 in parts and 4 hours labor. It’s great to see another NY investor on here. What part of NY are you in?

I agree with Don. I have repaired these things with gorilla hair Bondo and it held up. But it looks terrible and a bath mat doesn’t really cover it. I’ve also just taken the fiberglass gel and hardener from the little kits without using the fiberglass mesh with success.

As with all things, it depends on your situation. If this is an old junker you are just trying to make do with, then repair it. If it is a nicer, newer (1990s or later) home or a home in a park YOU OWN, I have and would do as Don says "rip it out’ and put a normal tub in. The access panel is usually there anyway for the water supply. I does require UHC (under-home-crawling).

P.s. Notice how I think a “newer” home is 22 years old?
p.p.s. I think 50s & 60s homes are ancient and 70’s homes are historical, so what are 80s homes?

Steve

p.p.s. I think 50s & 60s homes are ancient and 70’s homes are historical, so what are 80s homes?”

Bread-and-butter?!

Collectable?

If the are not ancient or historical. I guess 80’s homes would be “Collectable”

Tub Surround

I do not however replace the surround. I carefully remove it by removing the rivets (carefully pry out the pins with the tip of a razor knife) then slide a putty knife all the way around the edge. And carefully remove.

[QUOTE=Don-NY;882985]Larry, I have mixed success fixing tub cracks around the drain long term. The drain pipe is rigid and the tub flexes a lot right around the drain. Due to the fact there is no foam support within 6 inches of the drain hole to make room for the drain pipe. “tiger hair” bondo works ok but you have to put a ton on from underneath. And it makes it impossible to ever change the drain. If you have heavier than normal tenants the fix is definitely short term. I usually just change out the tub. $250 in parts and 4 hours labor. It’s great to see another NY investor on here. What part of NY are you in?[/QUOTE]

Don, when you change out the center drain tub are you replacing it with a tub with the drain located under the faucet (as oppossed to center drain)? This would of course require you to move the waste lines but this should not be a big deal in most cases.

Also are you installing a mobile home tub or are you buying a stick built tub and retrofitting it in somehow.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,
I replace a center drain with a center drain even though I have not been able to find any good thick ones. At one time I could buy 54" steel tubs from the local “2nd’s” store but not anymore.

I did a google search for 54" steel tubs and found 54x30 tubs that are for hotel application. The tubs are priced at $159 but as you might imagine, freight costs more than double the cost. A 54" fiberglass (not abs) tub cost me $166 last month- and you specify drain location.

Hotel dumpster diving

Does this mean we should “have our head on a swivel” and scour hotel remodels for used free 54" tubs? I think so! And I never thought we could get other fixtures from there also HMMMM!