Tuned it up a bit, and my "Buying machine" starts again.... - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 19, 2000 at 20:08:51:

William,
All I need is for ONE of them to close QUICK!
And then, you betcha, I’ll be enroute to Atlanta.
I am trying like H.E. double hockey sticks to make it happen.
You know, my BEST deals always come when I’m HUNGRY and kinda stuck in a corner.
I had forgotten that.

Take care, and see you in your home state,
Jim IL

Tuned it up a bit, and my “Buying machine” starts again… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 19, 2000 at 19:02:46:

Hello all,
You know, going thru a divorce kinda took the wind out of my sales for a while here.
I did chase a few leads here and there, and did manage to make a couple of deals, just to make ends meet.
But, my motivation was lacking, to say the least.
My original intent when starting my REI carreer was to provide for my wife and daughter.
Since they left, my incentive was taken away, and I just could not seem to find it again.
Then, the other night, when talking to a good friend,he said, “you know Jim, you are REALLY MAD at your soon to be ex, and probably want some REVENGE, right?”
I of course said, “well, not really” (but felt otherwise)
So, my friend said, “the BEST revenge is to live your life to the fullest and be the most successful you can be!”

See, told you he was a GOOD FRIEND!

So, with my new attitude in tow, I headed out to get the “Buying machine” tuned up, and ready to run again.

I made a few signs and flyers, and created some ads for the local papers.
YESTERDAY, I posted the signs, flyers, and called in the ads.
Now, I’ve done all this before, with some success.
A few calls here and there.
But, TODAY, the phone was ringing off the hook.
My voice mail had 26 messages on it from my 3 hours away from the office, and I have answered about 15 other calls.
and
GUESS WHAT?

I now have 12 meetings with sellers between now and Saturday, with 4 more “Calling me back after they talk to there spouses”.

Not a bad couple of days at all!

Will I get a deal from these?
YES! YES! YES!!
Why?
Because I NEED TO, WANT TO and am DETERMINED TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

I have not been this FIRED UP in a WHILE!!

In fact, I’ll admit it, I did something last week that I VOWED to NEVER do again.
I applied for a Job.
And, today the company called and wanted an interview.
And you know what?
I said, “NO!”
My family thinks I’m an idiot, and my friends all think so to. (well, my non REI friends that is.)
But, I am DEDICATED to getting this “buying machine” back into tip top shape, and leaving my soon to be ex-wife in the dust!
You know, she lives right down the street now, and it will feel so nice to have her see my NEW CORVETTE I’m gonna buy this summer, and the “for sale” sign in my front yard, because I’m buying a new home for ME to live in.

REVENGE is not the most Christian thing, or necessarily the right attitude to have, BUT, it sure makes a GREAT motivator.

I let you all know when the first one falls!!

Rock and Roll baby!!

Have fun, I will be!
Jim IL

Re: Tuned it up a bit, and my “Buying machine” starts again… - Posted by Phillip

Posted by Phillip on January 22, 2000 at 10:39:32:

I remember reading your original posting around Thanksgiving time when you shared with all of us on the board the pending break-up of your marriage. Your candor and straight forward discussion of things that had gone off track was a big surprise, but to quote another writer in this thread, only a REAL man is strong enough to share such personal life drama. Everything you said about taking time for the family is 100% true, just wished I had taken more time with my sons when they were younger. We are all still together but lost time cannot be recaptured.

I ALWAYS read your posting because of my strong interest in L/O’s which is one of your many areas of expertise. You seem to have tons of “hands on” experience not that fluffy, theoretical stuff. Information that a man like myself can use. Your “magic” is quite evident look at what happended with your latest campaign…!!! By the way, what type ADS do you run to get such good results? I am in Chicago.

Yes, I agree with you in that the best revenge is to become as successful as you can and to use that energy so generated to drive your buying machine to do more and then even more than that… It is NOT negative energy but a wonderful redirection of the hurt or whatever is flowing from this experience channeled to a higher level of thinking and living as you move toward your new life.

You are the MAN…!!! Good Luck

I am glad that you are back in the game(nt) - Posted by tarun_md

Posted by tarun_md on January 20, 2000 at 18:02:35:

…the RIGHT christian thing to do… - Posted by elp

Posted by elp on January 20, 2000 at 13:40:09:

the right christian thing to do is to do it for the Lord and his glorification NOT to do it for any other motivational means…jus’ witnessing to you :slight_smile:

You have directed your hurt in the right direction. GO FOR IT - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on January 20, 2000 at 12:16:45:

Life thumps us on the head sometimes and we have to deal with whatever hit us. Directing your hurt and anger toward a positive goal is wonderful. You don’t need to do evil things to the spouse but you do need to continue your life.

I think you will do just fine.

GOOD LUCK
Nancy

Right on! - Posted by Ed_IL

Posted by Ed_IL on January 20, 2000 at 11:07:19:

Hey Jim, way to fight tooth and nail through this. I’m glad to see you’re still at it. Cant wait to read your success story!!

Ed

Why use hate as a … - Posted by DanM(OR)

Posted by DanM(OR) on January 20, 2000 at 10:19:50:

motivator. NAything done in hate wont last long. It will chew you up inside sooner or later anyway.

I have follow-up your postings here as long as you have been posting. You seem to be a great guy inside and a very loving guy.

Why not use love as a motivator. Any benefits you receive for your efforts will benefit you and your daughter also. Do it for yourself and for her.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and look forward to meeting you in Atlanta.

Dan Matejsek

What ad(s) are you using? - Posted by Steve Heller

Posted by Steve Heller on January 20, 2000 at 06:41:02:

Jim,
Great positive attitude! Thats what is takes. Would you share with the ad you used to get your calls? Thanks,
Steve (Tulsa)

Did you say thanks? - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on January 19, 2000 at 20:56:27:

Be sure to tell your friend Thank You for the new attitude he gave you! You sure needed it!

Anyway, glad to see you back in the saddle.

:slight_smile:
Brandi_TX

Jim, since you are going to do these deals, we WILL see you at the convention, right? (nt) - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on January 19, 2000 at 19:37:02: